The Williams Record

Join the Record!

Information for Record Applicants — Fall 2022

Thank you for your interest in joining The Williams Record, the College’s student-run newspaper since 1887! 

We are currently seeking one news section editor, one arts section editor, one photo editor, and one social media editor to join the 2022 editorial board. The positions will be semester-long, ending before Winter Study. No prior journalism experience is required, but the application is open only to rising sophomores and juniors (between the class years ’23.5 and ’25.5).

The application form for these positions will be linked on this webpage on Monday, August 15, and will be due Monday, August 22, at 11:59 p.m. EDT. Email Editor-in-Chief Annie Lu ’23 (asl3), Managing Editor Bellamy Richardson ’23 (bcr1), or Managing Editor Cameron Pugh ’23 (ctp1) with any questions.

If you are interested in joining the Record as a staff member, please email Katherine Yang (kjy1) and Justin Zen (jz4) for more information. We add staff to our program throughout the school year as interested students reach out.

————————————

What’s the Record

We’re the College’s student-run newspaper, and our mission is to serve the College community by providing fair and independent reporting on issues and stories that matter. We publish a weekly print and online issue during school weeks, as well as breaking news all year long. We have a lovely office on the second floor of Paresky.

What’s the difference between being a section editor and a staff member? 

Section editors are members of the editorial board and have significantly more responsibilities than staff writers. They manage the day-to-day operation of their section, and pitch, edit, and coordinate stories. Section editors also participate in weekly all-board meetings. Absolutely no prior experience is necessary to apply to be a section editor! In recent years, roughly three-quarters of new editors have been first-years, many of whom had no prior experience working for the Record or in journalism.

Staff members produce content for their section as assigned by their section editors. They go through training at the beginning of the semester to learn journalism basics and attend weekly section meetings. If you are not interested in being an editor but still want to get involved with a smaller time commitment, then you should apply for our staff program!

Why join the Record

Our reporting serves students, faculty, and staff at the College, as well as alums and members of the Williamstown community. We are the only newspaper specifically covering Williamstown, so many people look to us for their local news. In the past year, we have expanded our reporting to include news about town government and have used our platform to push the College’s administration to make real change regarding issues such as student mental health and divestment. 

Our staff have created fake Tinder accounts, hiked in freezing weather before sunrise, interviewed people including members of Congress, a Grammy and Oscar award winner, Jeopardy! contestants, and more, all in the name of journalism. Recent Record alums have gone on to lead the Federal Trade Commission and work at NPR, Boston Public Radio, and The Berkshire Eagle, among other news outlets. Also, you’ll get to know a great group of people (in our unbiased opinion), develop your writing skills, publish your work, and always stay on top of what’s going on at the College. 

What does each section do? 

Please see below for descriptions of each of the sections, as well as a brief overview of the responsibilities that section editors and staff have. Print section editors are responsible for pitching, editing, and writing articles in their respective sections. Print staff are responsible for writing regularly for their respective sections.

News: 

The news section is dedicated to writing time-sensitive or investigative articles to keep the College community informed. Recent articles have reported on Title IX cases at the College, mental health among students, reproductive health care access at the College, and the working conditions in the dining halls

The news section also covers Williamstown and the Berkshires, including news from the Williamstown Select Board, town manager, and the Williamstown Police Department (WPD). Recent articles have included coverage about a national civil rights group calling for a WPD officer’s removal from the force, the election of North Adams’ first female mayor, and Select Board meeting recaps.

Opinions:

The opinions section prints op-eds, letters, and comics from members of the College community, as well as editorials written collectively by the Record board. Recent pieces in the section include an op-ed calling on the College to re-institute last year’s academic flexibility, letters to the editor in support of fossil fuel divestment, and an editorial calling for changes to Campus Safety Services’ patrolling policy. Opinions editors are responsible for soliciting, coordinating, and editing opinion pieces from the community, in addition to helping the board deliberate and write editorials. 

Features:

The features section is a catch-all section for people-centric pieces that aren’t time-sensitive. The features team has covered topics ranging from the College’s history to student research to hidden places on campus. Recent features articles were written about an unofficial “Sasha Student Union” formed by seven Sashas, social media influencers at the College, and a hidden library in a campus dorm.

Arts:

The arts section runs articles on anything artsy, from student music performances to local exhibits and movie reviews. This year, arts articles have ranged from the return of in-person performances to the role of art in protest. Recent arts articles include pieces investigating working conditions at the Williamstown Theatre Festival and interviewing acclaimed alum band Darlingside.

Sports:

The sports section covers athletic pursuits within the College community. The sports section has written about alums’ athletic achievements, the ways the pandemic affected varsity athletes, e-sports, and much more. Recent articles include investigations of the experiences of Black women on the women’s soccer team, the history of “the Walk” tradition at Homecoming, and funding issues for club sports.

Podcast:

The podcast, which comes out every two weeks, tells narrative stories through record interviews, ambient sound, and music. Past episodes have included interviews with students and Integrative Wellbeing Services (IWS) therapists about mental health, a feature on navigating the College as an undocumented student, and segments of professors and chaplains’ thoughts on finding gratitude and mindfulness at the College. Podcast editors are responsible for hosting and producing the podcast.

Photo:

Photos are an essential part of any newspaper. They can set the scene, convey emotion, and catch readers’ eyes. While most photos in the Record accompany articles, we also run photo series, which can be anything from the changing seasons of the College campus to cute photos of professors’ pets. Photo editors are responsible for coordinating each issue’s photos, assigning photos to staff photographers, and occasionally taking photos themselves. Staff photographers are responsible for regularly taking necessary photos for articles. 

Graphics:

The graphics team, like the photo team, works to make the Record more visually appealing. The graphics editors and graphics staff create infographics (graphs about enrollment data, diagrams of the cash flows of a secret frat, and so on) and illustrations (a visual representation of a student’s overwhelming coursework, for example) to accompany articles. Graphics editors are responsible for coordinating the issue’s graphics, assigning graphics to staff artists, and making graphics when necessary. Staff artists are responsible for regularly making graphics for articles.

We hope that you will consider joining the Record as a staff member. If you have any questions, please feel free to email any of us!

Sincerely,

Annie Lu (asl3), editor-in-chief (fall 2022)

Bellamy Richardson (bcr1), managing editor (spring and fall 2022)

Cameron Pugh (ctp1), managing editor (fall 2022)