College to require students to get vaccinated before fall semester

Irene Loewenson

The College will mandate that students get vaccinated for COVID-19 by Aug. 1 unless they receive a medical or religious exemption, Dean of the College Marlene Sandstrom and Vice President for Finance and Administration Fred Puddester announced today in an all-College email.

“[President] Maud [S. Mandel] and Senior Staff decided this requirement was necessary to protect each of you individually and to protect others, including children and those unable to get vaccinated because of medical conditions,” Sandstrom and Puddester wrote. 

Students will submit proof of vaccination to Student Health Services as part of the student registration process.

College administrators have not yet decided whether faculty and staff will be required to get vaccinated, Sandstrom and Puddester wrote, “but we encourage it in the strongest possible terms.” In the fall, employees who choose not to get vaccinated and don’t have exemptions will no longer be eligible for COVID-19 workplace accommodations like the option to work remotely.

Students may get any of the COVID-19 vaccines, including those that are not authorized in the United States. Those living abroad in locations without vaccine access can come to campus unvaccinated, but they must get vaccinated soon after arriving. Sandstrom and Puddester noted that the College will provide these students with transportation to vaccine appointments.

The College’s decision comes after several other colleges, including fellow NESCAC members Wesleyan and Bowdoin, have announced vaccine mandates for students. Bowdoin’s mandate also applies to employees.