Spring Street Blues: from the files of campus safety and security

Monday 1-29-18

6:25 p.m. Lasell Gym: The Gym Monitor reported the presence of unwanted guests.

8:10 p.m. Southworth School House Apartments: The fire alarm was set off by cooking. 

Tuesday 1-30-18   

8:41 p.m. A student from West College reported that he believes that someone was in his room while he was away from Christmas break through Winter Study. Upon arriving, he entered his room and noticed that the door was unlocked and that things were out of place. He has no explanation for this and asked officers to check into it.

Wednesday 1-31-18

10:53 p.m. Tyler: An anonymous tipline submitted an urgent noise complaint for an extremely loud party going on in the Moose Room. As officers pulled in, they saw about 15-20 students walking down the driveway. Upon entering the Moose Room, there were no students there.

11:39 p.m. Garfield: There was a report of a broken window and an unregistered campus party.

Thursday 2-1-18

11:28 a.m. Faculty Club: Staff asked for an officer to check on an odor. While checking the main lounge, an officer smelled natural gas. One of the pull stations was activated to clear the building, and 9-1-1 was activated for The Williamstown Fire Department. Checking the building with a gas meter, the Fire Chief did not detect any gas. The Chief asked that Berkshire Gas be notified so they could respond and do a check with their equipment. At 12:36 p.m., Berkshire Gas reported that they did not detect any gas.

11:28 p.m. Officers responded to an anonymous tipline. Upon arrival, officers found approximately 10 male students watching a basketball game and a TV show on two separate televisions. The officers advised the group of students to keep the noise level down.

Friday 2-2-18

2:47 a.m. Jesup: A student called dispatch to report that a suspicious man who did not look like a student had entered Jesup. Officers responded to Jesup Hall, where they found the man standing inside the main entrance. They asked him if he was affiliated with the College. He replied that he was not and stated that he had come inside to get out of the snow while waiting for a taxi. Officers made sure he left campus.

9:46 p.m. Thompson: Officers received a report of someone smoking.

Saturday 2-3-18

3:15 p.m. Paresky: A smoke detector in the kitchen next to the elevator was activated. The hood fans had been turned off so people could hear the staff talking during the Served performance. Officers arrived in order to reset the system.

11:23 p.m. Dodd: Officers responded to a complaint of the smell of marijuana smoke.

11:23 p.m. Carter: Officers responded to a tipline submission of people acting “crazy.” Upon arrival, officers discovered eight female students listening to loud music.

Sunday 2-4-18

4:40 p.m. North Adams Ambulance Service transported a student to Berkshire Medical Center North Campus in North Adams.