Spring Street Blues

Campus Safety Services

Tuesday 11-30-21

9:00 a.m. Hopkins Memorial Forest: A Williamstown Police Department (WPD) officer informed Campus Safety Services (CSS) officers assigned to the Hopkins Forest hunting detail of a report of a possible illegal shooting of a deer on Northwest Hill Rd. An individual witnessed the incident and the WPD, as well as the State Environmental Police (SEP), are investigating. The shooting did not occur in the forest but on an adjacent property. The manager of Hopkins Forest was also notified, and the SEP reported they were in the area patrolling because they are aware of deer poaching in the area.

9:23 p.m. Morgan Hall: Officers responded to an intrusion alarm for the east steam tunnel. No apparent cause was found, and officers reset the alarm panel and armed the area.

Wednesday 12-01-21        

6:27 a.m. Tyler House: Officers were dispatched to a door alarm and found the door ajar. Officers secured the door and the alarm cleared. Officers conducted a walkthrough of the building to make sure there were no unwanted guests present. While conducting the walkthrough, an officer found the second floor north common room trashed.

9:30 a.m. Sawyer Library: Officers responded to an ajar door alarm from the second-floor door South entrance. The door was found secure and working properly.

12:59 p.m. Agard House: A Grounds Foreman reported lawn damage on the southwest side of Agard House. A vehicle had driven on the lawn causing damage. Officers took photos and checked the vehicles in the Agard Lot but did not locate the vehicle in question. 

1:23 p.m. Hopkins Hall: Officers were dispatched to Hopkins Hall to meet a Northern Berkshire Transport (NBT) driver. A student who had tested positive for COVID-19 was transported to the COVID quarantine residence.

5:52 p.m. Tyler House: Officers were dispatched to Tyler House for a door alarm. Upon arrival, the officer found the audible alarm from the kitchen fire escape door sounding and the door slightly ajar. There was no one in the vicinity. No issues were found with the door and it was secured.

5:54 p.m. Weston Hall: Officers responded to a third-floor east stairwell door ajar alarm. Upon arrival, the interior door was found propped open, and officers secured the door. 

6:48 p.m. Simon Squash Courts: Officers responded to the third floor at the request of the athletic gym monitor, who reported damage. This damage was documented and an incident report taken from an athletic staff member. A work order was submitted for Architectural Trades.

Thursday 12-2-21           

10:15 a.m. Sawyer Library: Officers responded to an alarm on the south stairwell door. Officers found the area all clear but the door was unsecured, so they secured the door and the alarm cleared. After reviewing the video at the door, officers found that the alarm was caused by a student exiting an “Emergency Exit Only” door.

10:25 a.m. Garfield House: An officer was dispatched concerning a damaged emergency phone on the northwest side of the building. The pole was leaning back, and the concrete base had pulled away from the ground. There was a dent and scrape on the pole. The officer notified the Electrical Tradesmen who  responded to check the pole. The wiring was found to be damaged and in need of repair. Works orders were completed for Electrical Trades.

11:28 p.m.: An officer assisted NBT with moving a student into quarantine housing.

7:44 p.m.: An officer assisted NBT in relocating a COVID-19 positive student into quarantine housing.

Friday 12-3-21          

3:53 a.m. Mission Park: Dispatch reported Northern Berkshire Emergency Medical Services (EMS) being dispatched to Lynde Lane through a 911 call. Officers found a student inside the north door waiting for the ambulance. Northern Berkshire EMS arrived on scene, and the student walked out to the ambulance for evaluation. The student was not transported.

5:14 p.m. Hopkins Hall: An officer responded to Hopkins Hall to escort Northern Berkshire Transport and a student to COVID-19 quarantine housing.

7:09 p.m. Park Street: An officer responded to Park Street for a report that a car was speeding and then a person getting out of the car and screaming. WPD was also notified. The officer found an upset teenager sitting on the steps of Armstrong, who said they were OK but had just been in an argument with their parent and got out of the car. The parent returned and the young citizen got back into the car. The vehicle information was taken and shared with the WPD officer who arrived a few minutes later.

Saturday     12-4-21          

2:26 a.m. Mission Park: Students in Dennett called dispatch to report they were having an allergic reaction to food. 911 was activated. When Northern Berkshire EMS arrived, they evaluated and offered to take the student to Berkshire Medical Center North. The student declined transport and reported they had taken Benadryl a little earlier and they felt the symptoms that were a concern were subsiding.                                                              

3:57 a.m. Williams Inn: During routine patrol, an officer noticed a vehicle in the parking lot with its lights on. Several hours later, the same vehicle was still in the lot with the lights on. Upon investigating, the motor was also found running and a person was sound asleep in the front seat. WPD was called to check on this situation.

7:00 a.m.: College Dispatch was notified by the Williamstown Fire Department (WFD) of a leak of aluminum sulfate from a Holland Company tanker truck. The driver realized the leak started in the area of the Hadley Overpass in North Adams and was unaware that the tanker was leaking until he arrived in Pownal, Vt. WFD Chief briefed Eric Sullivan, director of CSS, on the incident because the leak occurred on Routes 2 and 7, which cut through campus. The substance was determined not to be dangerous. The roads were cleaned and cautions were taken to avoid contact with the substance. 

5:48 p.m. An officer took possession of a backpack that was left in a dining hall.  CSS  identified the bag’s owner and contacted them to retrieve their bag.

9:49 p.m. Perry House: Officers responded to a complaint of no heat. Officers found that the temperature in the building was normal and the heaters were producing heat.

Sunday 12-5-21

1:46 p.m. Officers responded to a student’s room for a ceiling leak. Mechanical Trades was contacted for assistance. The student was offered a different room for the night if needed, but they declined.

3:53 p.m.: A student came to CSS to report their bike stolen. An officer met with the student took a report, and sent the information to the WPD.

8:26 p.m.: 911 was activated for a student with an odd rash. Northern Berkshire EMS responded to assess the student, and at the EMT’s suggestion, the student decided to be checked out at the hospital.