Spring Street Blues

Monday 10-25-21        

11:30 a.m. Paresky Kitchen: Officers responded to a medical emergency. An employee was having chest pains and Northern Berkshire Emergency Medical Services (EMS) was notified. EMS arrived, evaluated, and transported the employee to Berkshire Medical Center (BMC).

4:05 p.m. Weston Field: An officer observed a vehicle driving across the water-saturated lawn to the back of the grandstand, causing serious turf damage. The officer spoke with the driver and took pictures of the damage and vehicle to document the incident.   

4:35 p.m. Sherman House: Officers responded to a report called in by the resident stating that the smoke detectors had been activated and that cooking was the cause of the alarm. Officers silenced and reset the panel. The panel would not reset. Electrical Trades were notified and asked to respond.

Tuesday 10-26-21        

8:35 a.m. Perry House: Officers responded to a report by custodians of an odor in the Goat Room and the pool room. There also appeared to be a haziness in the air. Dispatch activated 911 and received a response from the Williamstown Fire Department. Upon arrival, an officer pulled an alarm to empty the building. A safety assistant arrived and began to determine the source of the odor, and the WFD arrived shortly after. Electrical Trades and Mechanical Trades personnel also responded and determined that a duct damper motor had malfunctioned and caused the burning odor. The duct damper motor was disabled and will be replaced, and the pull station was reset with the students being cleared to reenter the building.

Thursday 10-28-21         

5:41 p.m. Cole Field: Officers were dispatched to the softball field after it was reported that someone had driven around the field. Upon arrival, there were two vehicles loading up equipment, and officers contacted the individuals.

7:11 p.m. Weston Field: Officers responded to the turf field to evaluate a student who had cut their eye playing in a soccer game. Because one of the students reported lightheadedness, the officers decided to activate 911. Northern Berkshire EMS arrived and evaluated the students involved. One student declined transport. The other student was transported to Berkshire Medical Center in North Adams.

Friday 10-29-21        

7:54 a.m. Weston Field: Officers performing a check of the grandstand bathrooms found someone had smeared soap on the mirrors and thrown soap on the floor. There appeared to be no other damage in either bathrooms.  Pictures were taken for documentation of the incident and a work order was submitted to clean up the soap.

11:14 a.m. Fayerweather Hall: Officer responded to meet with an architectural tradesman who had been called there to check on a fire exit door. A bed had been pushed up against a clearly marked fire exit door. The Safety and Environmental Compliance office was notified and pictures were taken of the fire safety violation.

8:13 p.m. Sawyer Library: Officers were dispatched to the library at closing. A student was focused on completing a statistics midterm and was unaware the library was closing.

Saturday 10-30-21        

12:35 a.m. Wachenheim Science Center: Dispatch received a report from a student who called in a party with alcohol with no one wearing masks. Officers found students scattered throughout the building with the main gathering at the stone tables outside the southwest door. There did not appear to be any alcohol present, but no one was wearing a mask. A brief investigation revealed that an unregistered event was held outside and the inclement weather seemed to have forced students inside, where a large mess was created throughout the building. 

5:46 p.m. Mission Park: Officers responded to a fire alarm. The cause of the alarm was an activated detector in Pratt, and the room had a strong odor of hairspray. Officers opened the window to ventilate the room and the fire system restored to normal.

Sunday 10-31-21        

12:23 a.m. Currier Ballroom: Officers were dispatched to an intoxicated student. There was a registered Halloween party in the ballroom, and as the party was emptying out and ending, a student was found sitting on the stairs outside the ballroom vomiting into a trash can. After speaking with the student and friends, officers activated 911. The EMTs arrived, measured their vitals, and determined that it was best for the student to go to the hospital.  

12:44 a.m. Hoxsey Street: Officers responded to a report that students were in the road and were not allowing cars to pass through. The Williamstown Police Department responded and handled the call because it is a town road.  

1:47 a.m. Mission Park: Officers responded to a report of an individual at the east emergency phone calling into dispatch to be let into the dorm. The person was not a student. The officers spent some time identifying the person, who claimed to be a guest of a student. The student and guest were reminded of the COVID-19 rules in place and that guests are not allowed to stay on campus.

1:15 p.m. Dodd House: Officers responded to the pool room for a report of property damage. A pool stick and a light fixture in the pool room were broken. Officers documented the damage and submitted a work order to have the light fixture replaced. 

8:34 p.m. Sage Hall: Officers responded to reports of suspicious activity. It was reported to dispatch that there was an unknown person circling the dorm multiple times. Upon arrival, officers completed a thorough search of the area and did not find anyone matching the description given. There were many students in the area dressed in Halloween costumes to trick or treat.