Spring Street Blues: Week of October 24, 2012

Monday 10-15-12

5:07 p.m., Dennett: Officers responded to a report of a student who had hit his head on a metal doorframe and was bleeding from the head. Village Ambulance arrived and transported the student to North Adams Regional Hospital (NARH).

Tuesday 10-16-12

9:23 a.m., Hollander: During a conversation with a professor at home, a staff member had determined that the professor needed medical attention and activated 911 to respond to an off-campus residence. Village Ambulance was dispatched to this address and the person was transported to NARH.

1 p.m., Brooks Parking Lot: A custodian reported a car alarm going off. The owner was identified and notified.

Wednesday 10-17-12

6:13 p.m., Poker Flats: Campus Safety and Security received a call reporting an odor of fuel near the west side of Poker Flats. Officers found a vehicle leaking gasoline. The owner was identified and the on-call Safety and Environmental Compliance officer was notified.

4:47 p.m., Hollander: Security received a complaint about chalked graffiti outside of the south entrance to Hollander on the brick wall. Pictures were taken for documentation and several College authorities were immediately notified concerning the unacceptable nature of the comments.

Thursday 10-18-12

8:33 a.m., Pine Cobble Road: A staff member reported a personal vehicle had been broken into. Later it was discovered that several vehicles had been broken into and one stolen from another house in the neighborhood.

10:15 p.m., Paresky: A theft report was taken of an unlocked bike stolen from Paresky. A copy of the stolen article report was faxed to the Williamstown Police Department (WPD).

10:52 p.m., Mission: The same student that reported a stolen bike earlier in the evening called Security to report that the bike had been found on the hill by Mission. WPD was informed, and the bike was recovered.

11:06 p.m., Garfield: Security received a noise complaint. Officers noticed that the lights were out, but several students were inside in a state of undress. Beer and liquor were present, and most students present were underage. A couple of students took responsibility for the unregistered party. All of the alcohol was disposed.

Saturday 10-20-12

1:48 a.m., Fitch: Security received a report of water on the basement floor. Officers found a large puddle of water by the north basement door. There were three sand bags by the southeast door by a drainpipe. Custodians were called and responded for clean-up.

2:53 a.m., Bronfman: Security received a report of water leaking. Officers arrived and saw water pouring out of the ground floor elevator shaft. There also were approximately two inches of water on the floor, and ceiling tiles had fallen to the floor. An officer who went to the Morley Science Lab loading dock door noticed smoke in the hallway area. The officers called 911, and the building fire alarm was activated. It was determined that the water was coming from a broken pipe from the 200-gallon tank of distilled water on the roof that services the science labs. The Williamstown Fire Department and mechanical trades on call isolated the pipe so that the domestic water could be turned back on. “Out of order” signs were placed on the elevator on all floors. An inspection of rooms and offices was done for damage assessment and notification.

3:05 p.m., Park Street: WPD requested a Security officer meet them on Park Street. When the WPD officer was checking vehicles on Park Street he found a large cache of fireworks in one vehicle, believed to belong to a student in Williams Hall.

9:52 p.m., Chapin Hall: An elderly man fell after missing two steps while leaving an event inside the building. Village Ambulance arrived on the scene and evaluated the individual. He was transported to Berkshire Medical Center.

10:40 p.m., Spencer: Security received an anonymous tip of a party taking place on Spencer’s first floor. Officers found about 20 students in the library on the first floor listening to loud music. The students were advised of the complaint, and they began to clean the area before officers departed.

Sunday 10-21-12

12:30 a.m., Spring Street: Officers responded to a report of someone throwing glass bottles at students. The officer requested dispatch to activate 911 for police assistance. A non-student was placed into protective custody by WPD. Approximately 15 minutes later a call from Sage was received reporting that a person involved in this same incident needed medical assistance. The student had cuts and lacerations that may have required stitches. The student was transported to NARH by Village Ambulance. The person in WPD custody is being criminally charged, and both the perpetrators have been posted from campus.