Spring Street Blues: Week of October 17, 2012

Wednesday 10-10-12

8:03 a.m., Lower Thompson Chapel Parking Lot: An officer was dispatched in response to an altercation between two contractors. The Williamstown Police Department (WPD) chief and officers responded.

10:30 a.m., Hardy: A theft report came in from a College painter that sometime between Oct. 4 and Oct. 9, someone took a four-foot orange ladder from Hardy. It was last seen on the third floor in room eight.

3:08 p.m., Poker Flats: A mechanical tradesman reported an adolescent standing around the ‘F’ entry of Poker Flats. He wore a black jacket with a red sweatshirt. The person was identified as one of the deans’ children on campus for tutoring.

Thursday 10-11-12

6:28 p.m., Tyler Annex: There was a 911 activation from the building. The emergency concern was actually at another college campus and was being called in by a student at the College on behalf of a friend.

7:32 p.m., Lansing-Chapman Ice Rink: An assistant football coach reported that his vehicle was hit in the parking lot outside of the Lansing-Chapman Ice Rink. WPD was contacted. There was a note from the responsible party leaving contact information.

11:45 p.m., Armstrong: A noise complaint was submitted for the fourth floor of Armstrong. A few students were found listening to loud music in the common room. Security informed the students of the complaint and had the music turned off.

Friday 10-12-12

12:06 p.m., Thompson Parking Lot: An e-mail was sent concerning the defacement of magnetic decals making a religious affirmation on a personal vehicle. A complete report was requested. The first incident occurred on Park Street outside of Paresky and the second accident occurred outside of Hopkins Hall in the handicapped parking space. WPD was given the report. The deans’ office was also notified.

12:19 p.m., Driscoll: A fire alarm sounded. The cause was smoke from the panini machine.

Saturday 10-13-12

9 p.m., Bryant: A complaint was made from Bryant House. Officers found eight people in the ‘B’ fourth floor common room who were preparing to have a gathering.  A total of six complaints were received, each time asking to quiet the fourth-floor ‘B’ entry. There were only a few people playing charades. The residents of the fourth-floor ‘B’ entry were cooperative and tried to quiet down as much as possible.

9:19 p.m., Paresky: A student who was studying in Paresky 114 reported that his backpack was stolen. The backpack contained a laptop, and the estimated value of the bag’s total contents was $3000. A stolen article report was filed and faxed to the WPD.

9:45 p.m., Morgan: A complaint was received about marijuana smoking on Morgan’s second floor on the Spring Street side. There was a lot of noise and music coming from a room, but it could not be determined whether there was smoking taking place in that room. A can of Coleman camping fuel that was in the room was taken and placed in the Environmental Health & Safety Office.

10 p.m., Bryant: A complaint was made from Bryant about someone smoking marijuana on the second floor. Officers checked the building and could not find any odor of marijuana.

10:54 p.m., Bryant: A noise complaint was submitted for the fourth floor of the Bryant ‘B’ entry. The only group found was the same group discovered earlier in the evening on a previous call playing charades. The group was informed of the noise complaint and was asked to keep the volume as low as possible.

11:18 p.m., Dennett: A noise complaint was received via tip line. Five students were found listening to music and drinking. The group was cooperative and all alcohol was disposed of.

Sunday 10-14-12

12:15 a.m., Sawyer: Security received a report of two people writing inappropriate messages on the exterior walls. According to the witness, the two individuals were reportedly going south toward Hopkins Hall. A witness statement and photographs were taken to document the incident.

12:27 a.m., Dennett: A small group of students were playing kickball in the main floor lobby area of Mission. They were informed of the complaint and they discontinued the game.

12:54 a.m., Paresky: Officers called to assist someone who had fallen down the stairs. The student’s wounds were cleaned and bandages were applied. A personal accident form was filled out. No transportation to the hospital was necessary.

1:17 a.m., Gladden: Officers responded to a report of an unconscious and unresponsive female in the basement of Gladden. 911 was activated. Residents of the basement did not know who the female was or how long she had been there. She was transported to North Adams Regional Hospital (NARH) by Village Ambulance.

1:35 a.m., Paresky: A report of an intoxicated student was received. 911 was activated. The student was vomiting and had trouble answering questions. Village Ambulance put the student on a stretcher and transported him or her to NARH.

1:30 p.m., Rice House: A student claimed responsibility for breaking a window after suffering injuries from the incident. He was taken to the Health Center for treatment of minor cuts.