Spring Street Blues: From the files of Campus Safety and Security

Campus Safety

Tuesday 10-23-18

12:31 p.m., Health Center: Officers responded to a report of a suspicious person. The Health Center staff reported a man wandering back and forth between Hewat House and the Health Center. This person was identified as the parent of a student. 

Wednesday 10-24-18

6:24 a.m., A student outside the College called dispatch to have a wellness check conducted on his friend who was possibly having a reaction to his medication. Officers went to the student’s room but there was no medical emergency transport necessary.

12:36 p.m., Perry House: Custodial services reported receiving an email concerning damage that was found in the Goat Room. An officer documented the damage.  

7:14 p.m., Morley Science Lab: A Safety & Environmental Compliance (SEC) staff member called to request that the Williamstown Fire Department (WFD) respond to an odor of gas. They then activated the fire alarm pull-station outside the room. A professor arrived and informed them that a chemical that smells like gas was used last evening in the lab. The WFD chief approved the building for re-occupancy. 

Thursday 10-25-18

9:20 a.m., Paresky: Officers responded to a report of an odor of gas and a hissing sound in the basement kitchen. 911 was activated for the WFD. SEC, Mechanical Trades and Berkshire Gas Company responded. A pull station was activated and the building was evacuated. Gas meters verified there was no natural gas leak. The source of the odor may have been a cooking appliance. Upon the fire chief’s approval, staff and guests were allowed to reenter Paresky.

8:33 p.m., Chapin Lot: An officer was dispatched to a report of a motor vehicle accident. A parent ran up over the curb and backed out, tearing off their bumber. WPD was called for a motor vehicle accident report. 

10:01 p.m., Perry House: Officers responded to the smell of marijuana. The odor was so faint that they could not pinpoint which room it was
coming from. 

10:17 p.m., Fayerweather House: Officers responded to a tipline submission and found a small group of students drinking beer and playing music. They were advised of the complaint, shut off the music and cleaned up the cans. 

Friday 10-26-18

1:11 a.m., Gladden House: Officers responded to a noise complaint. Three students were watching T.V. and were advised of the complaint. 

3:01 a. m., Morgan House: Officers responded to a report of a suspicious person inside Morgan carrying a couple of bags. The person identified was a parent arriving for Family Days.   

11:12 a.m., Hopkins Hall: A student completed a stolen article report regarding a fanny pack, iPhone and College ID stolen the day before while training at the top of Luce Road. 

5:25 p.m., Perry House: Officers responded to a report of marijuana. There was a faint odor in the hallway. 

10:05 p.m., Fort Hoosac: Officers responded to a fire alarm. Upon arrival only three students were outside of the building while approximately 50 students and faculty remained inside. A fog machine had set off the alarm. 

Saturday 10-27-18

2:09 p.m., Cole Field: Officers responded to a report of a Champlain College women’s rugby player with a left hip injury. A College athletic trainer radioed dispatch to activate 911 for Northern Berkshire Emergency Medical Services (EMS).  The athlete was transported to Southwestern Vermont
Medical Center.   

Sunday 10-28-18

12:25 a.m., Horn Hall: Officers were dispatched to check on a vomiting student. Officers immediately activated 911. Northern Berkshire EMS used a stair chair to bring the student down the stairs and out to the ambulance before transporting them to the Berkshire Medical Center North. The on-call custodian was called in to clean up the vomit. 

12:31 a.m., Hoxsey Street: Officers responded to a report of a heavily intoxicated student laying on the road. The officer moved the WPD barricades blocking the street for the fundraising party. WPD was called to help the crowd that was blocking the road. It took about three minutes to get to the intoxicated student who was only halfway down the street. The police were using lights and loud horns in an effort to move students and clear the street for the ambulance. They had the same issue with students not moving when the ambulance was leaving the scene, despite blowing the horn and turning on the emergency lights and siren.  

3:29 a.m., Dodd House: Officers responded to a report of an unwanted person, who was then removed from the building. 

11:17 p.m. Noise complaints were received from several locations on campus. Responding officers found Red Sox fans enjoying their team’s World Series victory.