Spring Street Blues: from the files of Campus Safety and Security

News Desk

Tuesday 2-25-20 

12:08 a.m. Sawyer Library: Officers responded to the circulation desk for a panic alarm, but found no emergency. The alarm was most likely hit by accident by a person sitting next to the panic button. 

Thursday 2-27-20

3:41 a.m. Greylock Parking Garage: While checking the second floor of the garage, an officer discovered a vehicle with a boot order on it. The officer booted the vehicle and issued a ticket. 

1:58 p.m. Chaplain’s Office: Staff from the Chaplain’s Office reported an unknown person sleeping on a couch.

5:04 p.m. West Hall: A student reported the smell of marijuana on the second floor. 

11:20 p.m. Wood House: Officers responded to a noise complaint. There were a few students listening to loud music on the first floor. They apologized and shut off the music.

Friday 2-28-20

4:15 p.m. Children’s Center: Officers responded to a fire alarm, finding that it was a fire drill conducted by Children’s Center staff.  

8:06 p.m. Chandler Pool: Campus Safety and Security (CSS) received a call from a guest staff member concerning a suspicious person in the locker room watching the boys. The person was questioned and identified.  

11:54 p.m. Poker Flats:  An officer responded to the South B entry for multiple forced door alarms. Upon arrival, there was a large group of students blocking the entry to Poker, as well as a number of students inside the common area, for a total of 37 students. Officers then proceeded down to the basement where there were over 100 students. The unregistered and overcrowded event was shut down.

Saturday 2-29-20

3:27 p.m. Garfield House: The alarm was in the basement kitchen. The cause was cooking. The system was reset. 

5:18 p.m. Schow Library: CSS received a report of a leak in room 027. There was a ceiling tile that was soaked with water and broke apart upon being touched. The on-call mechanical tradesman came to locate the source of the leak. 

11:32 p.m. Paresky Center: Officers responded to assist an intoxicated student. The student was found with friends holding them upright because they were not in control of their body. The student was in and out of consciousness and began throwing up into a vomit bag. Officers called 911. A dining staff member reported to officers on site that there was another intoxicated student inside the ’82 Grill. One officer stayed with the first student, while another went downstairs to the ’82 Grill. The officer found a student sitting at a table with their face down in their nachos. The student was very incoherent. Officers called 911 again and Northern Berkshire EMS was informed of the second intoxicated student. Northern Berkshire EMS arrived and put both students on stretchers. They were transported to Berkshire Medical Center (BMC) North. The officers called a custodian to clean up the vomit.   

Sunday 3-1-20

12:02 a.m. Paresky Center: While an officer was waiting for the two students to be transported, they were informed by a Dining staff member that there was a third seriously intoxicated student in the basement bathroom. This student was also drifting in and out of consciousness and vomiting. An EMT already on scene evaluated and called 911 to have a third ambulance respond. 

1:27 a.m. Paresky Center: Dining staff reported a fourth intoxicated student sitting at a table near Lee Snack Bar. Officers were in the building, responded and called 911. EMS arrived to evaluate and transported the student to BMC North. 

12:49 p.m. Potter Road: A dispatcher received a call from a cross country runner regarding a fellow runner who fell and injured themselves while running through the woods. The runner fell at the top of the hill near the end of Potter Road above Mount Hope. Team members were found applying pressure on a serious cut and keeping their friend warm with blankets. 911 was called and an ambulance responded to the scene. 

1:59 p.m. Mission Park: The Dining manager reported that one of their staff members found a small glass vial on a dining table. The vial contained some sort of white powder. The glass vial was carefully secured, transported to the CSS office and placed in an evidence bag.