Spring Street Blues

Monday 4-19-21          

1:19 p.m. Morgan Hall: A student called Campus Safety and Security (CSS) to report an odor of incense. An officer arrived and verified a very strong odor of what could be described as incense. 

Tuesday 4-20-21          

11:25 a.m. Parsons House: Officers responded to a report of a possible unsafe set-up of a regular wood chair hung with rope as a swinging porch chair. The chair was secured to preexisting hooks by a sturdy nylon rope. Officers found no damage to the chair or porch roof, but the potential danger was significant enough to warrant its removal.

3:34 p.m. Mount Hope Mansion: An officer responded to a burglary alarm.

3:43 p.m. Wachenheim Science Center: Officers responded to a door ajar alarm at the level B1 steam tunnel door.                       

7:25 p.m. Meacham Street: An officer responded to check a power line that had separated from an off-campus faculty house. The officer verified that the line had come loose from the house and saw that there was still power, but they were concerned that it might separate the rest of the way and contacted Electrical Trades to respond.

Wednesday 4-21-21          

3:41 p.m.: The CSS dispatcher received a call from a student who said that a tall, unmasked, white person walked by them and said, “All lives matter.” The individual was walking towards Paresky Center from the Thompson Chapel area. Officers responded to the Paresky side of Sawyer Quad, walked through Paresky, and patrolled the surrounding area for a few minutes, but did not locate the person and notified an associate director.  

10:19 p.m. Park Street: An officer responded to an emergency phone activation.

Thursday 4-22-21          

8:11 a.m. Williams Hall: Custodial staff called CSS regarding vandalism in the C entry that had occurred the previous night. Evidence of drinking and damage was documented through pictures.

11:12 a.m. Williams Hall: An officer responded to a report of an odor of marijuana and documented a violation of smoking in a College building and tampering with fire safety equipment. The information was sent to the Department of Environmental Safety and Compliance, and the student was advised there could be a fine.   

12:17 p.m. Wachenheim Science Center: A student reported leaving their bike on the side of the black railing in the Science Quad at 10:40 a.m. and going to class. Upon returning at 11:30 a.m., the student found that their bike, which had not been locked, was gone. The officer completed a stolen article report for the bike and faxed it to the Williamstown Police Department (WPD). 

Saturday 4-25-21          

12:33 a.m. Hopper Science Center: An officer responded to reports of an audible alarm coming from the fire suppression door located on Level Zero. The officer found that the door had been activated, sealing off the physics wing from the rest of the building, although the fire panels to the building were not in alarm. Dispatch was notified and a work order was submitted for Electrical Trades to respond.

Monday 4-26-21          

3:52 p.m. Hopkins Hall: A Williams College Museum of Art (WCMA) staff member reported that their personal vehicle had been backed into while it was parked on the east side of Lawrence Hall Drive. A note had been left identifying the responsible company and phone number. Officers documented the damage and contacted the WPD to respond for a report.

Tuesday 4-27-21          

7:13 a.m. Fort Bradshaw: Officers responded to a fire system trouble and a node AC failure on the card access system and found a contractor on site doing electrical work that had caused a short building power outage.

Wednesday 4-28-21          

1:45 p.m. Tyler Annex: Officers responded to a WPD request for a 911 hang-up call.

Thursday 4-29-21          

6:08 a.m. Thompson Hall: An officer responded to a fire alarm and found the cause to be a water flow activation in the sprinkler system. Both Electrical and Mechanical Trades were called and responded to Thompson.

3:39 p.m. Eco Cafe: An officer responded to a water leak and found a mechanical tradesman already on site. A section of flashing below the skylight had been blown off by the high wind and rain, and the officer called an Architectural Tradesperson who was able to make a temporary repair.

5:22 p.m. WCMA: Officers responded to a door alarm from a first-floor storage room.

Friday 4-30-21          

12:35 p.m.: An officer went to the Office of Campus Life to retrieve keys for quarantine housing for four students. The officer then led Northern Berkshire Emergency Medical Services (EMS) to Dodd House and provided access and keys for the students, placing one student in isolation. 

2:51 p.m.: An officer assisted EMS with relocating four more students from their dorm rooms to quarantine at Dodd House.

Saturday 5-1-21            

12:44 a.m. Morgan Hall: An officer responded to a noise complaint and report of the smell of marijuana. One small group of students on the first floor was asked to turn down their music, and the officer found no odor of marijuana.

5:25 p.m. Weston Field: Officers responded to a report of unmasked parents hugging and taking pictures with the men’s lacrosse team in violation of the College’s COVID-19 guidelines. The officers found about 25 family members taking a group photo with about 10 lacrosse players on the south side of Farley-Lamb Field, who were all unmasked and not socially distanced. They were very cooperative and left the field upon request.  

10:12 p.m. Williams Hall: An officer found five students playing a drinking game in the F entry common room. The students had approximately 20 cups filled with a little bit of beer, and 11 unopened Natural Lights. They claimed that the beer wasn’t theirs, but were drinking it anyway, and were unmasked until the officer arrived.