Spring Street Blues

Monday 3-29-21

7:40 p.m. Sawyer Library: Officers responded to the second floor of Special Collections for a glass break alarm from an upper window, but found all windows closed and intact and the panel not in alarm. Dispatch contacted the head of Special Collections and found that the alarm had been activated accidentally. 

Tuesday 3-30-21

12:54 a.m. Fayerweather Hall: An officer responded to a noise complaint.

1:16 p.m. Wachenheim Science Center: Officers responded to an activated fire alarm and fire system trouble caused by a contractor cleaning air ducts.

1:16 p.m. Haystack Monument: Dispatch received a call reporting a group of unmasked individuals who were not social distancing. The group was led by a historian and his junior and senior high-school-aged students and parents from Nashua, N.H. The officer explained to the group that the College is not open to visitors during the pandemic and also explained the need to wear masks and practice social distancing. The group posed for a photo at the monument and then departed the area.

10:13 p.m. South St.: A student called and reported a cow on the loose walking down South St. The student first saw the cow in front of Agard House before it began walking north towards the traffic circle (Field Park). Officers advised the student to call the Williamstown Police Department (WPD). Officers responded to the area but could only assist and observe, as they do not have the training and certification to herd cows. An officer reported that there were actually three cows who had turned down Main St. and begun heading south and approaching Weston Hall. Officers reported that none of the cows were wearing masks or social distancing, and that they were confident the cows were not members of the College community and thus were in violation of the College’s policy prohibiting guests or visitors on campus. The WPD contacted the owners of the cows, who said they would respond to the area. The cows were last seen heading south beyond Health Services. 

Thursday 4-1-21

1:00 p.m. Lasell Gymnasium: Officers responded to the men’s locker room for a report of an elderly man unable to stand up. The caller stated that the man seemed to be stuck to the seat. The responding officers found the stall empty except for a sign that read, “APRIL FOOLS!”

7:19 p.m. Garfield House: An officer responded to door alarms caused by two doors that had been held open for too long. The officer found both doors propped open with no one in the area and secured the doors.

Friday 4-2-21

1:41 p.m. Faculty Club: Officers responded to a fire alarm ringing. The panel indicated an activated heat detector in the kitchen, but the officer found none and asked for Electrical Trades to respond to the site.

Saturday 4-3-21

2:40 p.m. Williams Hall: An officer responded to a report of a bathroom sink that was leaking but was unable to correct the issue and called Mechanical Trades for repairs.

11:39 p.m. Poker Flats: Officers responded to a possible large party in one of the houses and found a small group of fewer than 10 people.

Sunday 4-4-21

2:35 a.m. Children’s Center: Officers responded to an activated intrusion alarm but found nothing alarming before silencing and resetting the alarm.

4:03 p.m. Milham House: An officer responded to a possible malfunctioning door. The officer found that the door did not latch and secure on its own swing and called Architectural Trades to repair the door.

4:28 p.m. Tennis Courts: An officer responded to the north side of the tennis courts and found a group of unmasked individuals unaffiliated with the College having an Easter egg hunt. The officer informed the group of the College’s policies prohibiting visitors and requiring masks, and the group departed the area.