Spring Street Blues

Tuesday 3-16-21

10:29 a.m. Mission Park: Officers responded to a fire alarm ringing and found two masonry contractors sawing cylinder blocks. The resulting dust set off the fire detector, which was reset when the contractors completed their work. 

2:27 p.m. Paresky loading dock: Officers responded to a report of a motor vehicle accident. A driver from Coca-Cola was backing into the loading dock when his trailer scraped the side of a College Dining Services truck. The Williamstown Police Department (WPD) responded and took down all of the appropriate information. 

3:06 p.m. Paresky lawn: An officer responded to a report of a student who was on the ground and bleeding, and called 911 upon arrival. The student, who was being assisted by two other students, reported riding a skateboard on the sidewalk toward Main St. when they hit a divot in the sidewalk and fell off the skateboard, striking their face on the cement. Northern Berkshire Emergency Medical Services (EMS) arrived and transported the student to Berkshire Medical Center in North Adams. 

4:00 p.m. Hopkins Hall Drive: Officers responded to assist Northern Berkshire EMS with moving five students to quarantine in Dodd House and the Center for Development Economics residential hall. 

Wednesday 3-17-21

11:39 p.m. Wachenheim Science Center: An officer responded to the center’s main entrance for a forced door alarm.

Thursday 3-18-21

9:31 p.m. The Log: Officers responded to a forced door alarm, found kitchen staff inside, and spoke with Log manager Emma Mulligan. 

11:21 p.m. Tyler House: An officer responded to reports of a possible party in progress. 

Friday 3-19-21

1:26 a.m. Morgan Hall: An officer responded to reports of loud music. 

2:49 a.m. West College: Officers responded to a report of an active motion detector in the tunnels. The officers checked both the West College and Clark tunnel entrances.

11:23 a.m.: An officer responded to a report of an abandoned and damaged Dining Services vehicle at the intersection of Main Street and Driscoll Drive. The WPD was already on the scene.

11:52 p.m. Hopper Science Center: Officers responded to a report of a natural gas emergency shut-off alarm. A staff member told an officer that they accidentally backed into the valve. Mechanical Trades also arrived to check and reset the shutoff valve.

12:05 p.m. Wachenheim Science Center: Officers responded to a fire alarm and realized that a driver for an outside contractor had accidentally hit a pull station. The officers reset the pull station and fire alarm system.

12:49 p.m. Paresky Center: An officer responded to a staff member’s report that a chair, which was personal property, was missing.  

2:31 p.m. Officers were requested to post quarantine signs on faculty and staff offices in Chandler Gymnasium and the Thompson Biology Labs. 

11:53 p.m. West College: Officer responded to a smoke detector complaint and found that the sounds and blinking came from the overhead room light, which had a bad light bulb. Electrical Trades was notified for repairs.

Saturday 3-20-21

4:36 p.m. Dodd House: Officers received a report regarding students in quarantine gathering on the backside roof without masks.

5:56 p.m. Danforth Block: Officers responded to a fire alarm from a second floor apartment and found no fire, since the alarm had been triggered by cooking. The officers opened the windows for ventilation and reset the system. 

Sunday 3-21-21

10:55 a.m.: After receiving a report of a student testing positive for COVID-19, Northern Berkshire EMS provided the student with transport to isolation housing. 

11:30 a.m. – 6:29 p.m.: Northern Berkshire EMS provided transportation to quarantine housing for 11 students deemed close contacts of someone who had tested positive for COVID-19.

1:58 p.m. Dodd House: An officer responded to a report of an allergic reaction to nuts and called 911.

Monday 3-22-21

10:30 a.m. Garfield House: Officers were dispatched to the second floor common area for a report from a staff member of an unidentified person sleeping on a couch. When the officer arrived, the staff member told them that the unidentified person jumped up and bolted out of the house just after they called Campus Safety and Security (CSS).

Tuesday 3-23-21           

2:33 p.m.: An officer assisted and escorted the Northern Berkshire Transport (NBT) service for a transport of students to quarantine.

4:16 p.m. Dodd House: An officer observed a student on the roof in violation of safety regulations and spoke to the student concerning the violation. The student was fined $250.

7:20 p.m. Dodd House: Another student was observed on the roof at Dodd House. An officer went into Dodd to speak to the student. The student was also fined $250.

11:22 p.m.: CSS was advised of one COVID-positive student and seven students that needed to be moved into quarantine. Officers responded to the Office of Campus Life to obtain keys to the quarantine rooms, then met NBT to escort and assist students into quarantine housing.

Wednesday 3-24-21          

3:49 p.m. Dodd House: An officer was dispatched for a report of a student in quarantine exiting and re-entering the building in violation of quarantine.

6:52 p.m. Dodd House: An officer was dispatched for a report of a second student in quarantine exiting and re-entering the building in violation of quarantine.

Thursday 3-25-21          

11:52 a.m.: An officer responded to assist Northern Berkshire EMS to move two students into isolation.

2:33 p.m. Hoxsey Street: A Williamstown resident reported that there were 15 people on Hoxsey Street playing a drinking game unmasked. Officers responded and found only five students present with no one wearing masks. The WPD was notified.   

4:30 p.m. ’62 Center for Theatre and Dance: An officer responded to the area after a College employee reported having a strange interaction with a stranger passing through campus. The officer took a description from the staff member and shared the report with the WPD, who later said that they found and identified the person and would share this information with CSS.

6:28 p.m. Towne Field House: Officers responded to a report of two individuals seen on the west side of the roof and found two young people on one of the concrete support structures for the building. The individuals did not attend the College, and the officers discussed the dangers and issues of being on the roof and why it is not allowed. The two teenagers then left the area.

6:55 p.m. Prospect House: A student reported that their bicycle was stolen and that they had last seen it between Prospect and Fayerweather, where it had not been secured. The officer took a description and asked the student to fill out a stolen article report, which was shared with the WPD.

Friday 3-26-21

9:20 a.m. Paresky Center: While conducting a walkthrough of the area, an officer was informed that a College post office employee fell and was injured. After being assisted by others, the employee did not want medical assistance or transport. The officer made sure the employee and their supervisor would submit an employee accident report.

Saturday 3-27-21

9:05 a.m. Paresky Center: Dispatch received a call from Dining staff stating that the kitchen elevator was working very slowly, and officers called the electrician and submitted a work order.

2:40 p.m. Hoxsey Street: Dispatch received a call regarding students gathering outside on Hoxsey Street. An officer responded to speak to a few of the students, who were in compliance with state guidelines for outside gatherings. The officer offered the students some suggestions to keep within the state guidelines and remain safe while enjoying the nice weather.

3:30 p.m. Garfield House: An officer responded to the student parking lot for a report of minor damage to a vehicle. The WPD responded, took photos of the damage, and advised that a report would be available for the insurance company.

3:52 p.m. Hoxsey Street: An officer responded to the shared parking area behind 71 Hoxsey St. to speak with the students regarding several complaints from people passing by who were concerned that COVID-19 policies were being violated. The officer found approximately 20 students listening to music and talking, and advised the students of these calls. The students were very responsive and came up with a plan to keep the music at a lower volume and spread out into several smaller groups to diminish the concern of a large group gathering. At 6:05 p.m. the same day, a WPD officer advised they had also received several complaints about the students on Hoxsey Street. They had checked the area and did not see anything of concern.

4:44 p.m. Paresky Center: An officer responded to another complaint of the elevator not working. The officer shut off and reset the elevator, and it began working again. Electrical Trades was contacted and will call Bay State Elevator for assistance.

7:08 p.m. Paresky Center: A dining service employee found $30 in cash inside the building. The cash was handed over to an officer, who stored it in the CSS office for safekeeping.

11:04 p.m. Kellogg House: An officer responded to a report of a large gathering of unmasked students .  The officer found nine students wearing masks and socially distancing with music playing softly.

Sunday 3-28-21

9:00 a.m. Driscoll: Officers responded to the Driscoll parking lot for a truck that was leaking hydraulic fluid. The employee who found the leak placed cardboard under the truck in an attempt to catch the fluid. Safety and Environmental Compliance was contacted and responded with oil absorbents to clean up the fluid.

2:54 p.m. Schapiro Hall: Officers responded to a report of a leak. They found a leak in the main entryway, placed trash cans to catch the water, and contacted custodial staff to assist in cleaning up the water. It appeared that a roof drain above the area was leaking. A work order was submitted.

4:20 p.m. Chadbourne House: An officer responded to check a leak in a student room. They found water coming through the ceiling near the smoke detector and light fixture. Electrical Trades arrived and asked that the glass around the light be taken down to prevent water from pooling around it. The officer placed a trash can under the leak and submitted a work order to check for the source of the leak.