In Other Ivory Towers

MIT, Princeton Open Summer Programs to All Interested Students

With two affirmative action cases set to be heard before the United States Supreme Court, complaints from the Center for Equal Opportunity and the American Civil Rights Institute and a looming investigation by the Department of Education, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) has decided to open their summer enrichment programs to all interested students of any race.

To avoid investigation, Princeton University has also decided to follow suit. Initially, these programs were reserved for underrepresented minority students.

MIT’s Project Interphase helps first-year minority students adjust to the rigors of academic and social life at school, while its other program, the Minority Introduction to Engineering, Entrepreneurship and Science provides minority students an opportunity to explore collegelife.

Princeton University, following MIT’s lead, has decided to restructure its policy concerning admissions into the Woodrow Wilson School of Public Policy’s Junior Summer Institute.

This year’s summer program will go according to schedule, but Princeton officials are thinking about abandoning the program.

Courtesy of the Chronicle of Higher Education

Connecticut College Cancels Class To Hold Diversity Forum

In response to complaints of racial discrimination, including vandalism and threatening phone calls, Norman Fainstein, president of Connecticut College, canceled classes on Feb. 18 to hold “A Day of Community Building,” as requested by student leaders.

Topics discussed throughout the three-hour forum included racism at Connecticut College, affirmative action, and the potential war with Iraq.

According to the Chronicle of Higher Education, “Before the event, ‘some students were a bit frustrated, they did not feel like they were getting a response,’ said Patricia Brink, a spokeswomen for the college. ‘Afterwards, there was quite a sense of optimism. There’s never been a campus wide meeting like this here.’”

Students presented administrations with a several requests. First, they asked that all telephone lines to dorms be equipped with Caller-ID. They also wanted all faculty and staff to undergo compulsory “sensitivity training.”