In other Ivory Towers

Yale University will switch from a binding Early Decision program to a variant of the non-binding Early Admissions program starting with the class of 2008, President Richard Levin announced Wednesday. The new program differs from current Early Action programs in place at universities including Harvard, MIT, the University of Chicago, and the California Institute of Technology. Under those colleges’ conventional Early Action programs, students can apply to as many schools as they wish during the early cycle.

Under Yale’s new rules, applicants may only apply to one school early but do not have to commit to attend. The early applications will still be filed by Nov. 1 and a decision will be given to the student by Dec. 15. If admitted, students could then apply to other schools, compare financial aid offers and make a final decision by May 1.

Stanford officials also announced that they would switch to a similar Early Action program next year. Stanford said that it had independently decided to make such a change and felt that announcing it at this time would help families and students plan for the upcoming admissions cycle. Yale and Stanford’s changes leave Princeton as the last of the nation’s six most selective institutions to have a binding Early Decision program.

Courtesy of the Yale Herald

New Hampshire court rules that warrants not required for drug searches of dorm rooms

On Oct. 24, the Supreme Court of New Hampshire ruled that police officers at Dartmouth College can legally search a dorm room for drugs without a warrant.

The court ruled that there was not a “sufficient relationship” between the Dartmouth campus police and the Hanover Police Department for the constitutional protections to apply to a student’s room. It found that the campus police had acted independently of law enforcement officials and that the search was thus legal.

The crux of the case depended on whether or not campus police officers were agents of the state simply because they regularly cooperate with local police officers, according to the Chronicle. This is an important distinction because the Fourth Amendment does not protect searches by private officials on private property.

Dave Boyer, assistant director of security at Williams, said the outcome of the Dartmouth case will have no bearing on security’s procedures at Williams.

According to the student handbook, the College reserves the right to “inspect students’ rooms at any time for damage and violations of rooming regulations, for the maintenance of College property and for the preservation of public safety.”Â

Courtesy of the Amherst Student