In Other Ivory Towers…

Two students charged with embezzling almost $100,000 from Harvard’s famed Hasty Pudding Theatricals, the oldest theater company in America, pleaded guilty on Sept. 13. Randy Gomes and Suzanne Pomey had originally pleaded not guilty, but changed their plea to avoid a jail sentence. The students, members of the Class of 2002 had been indicted on Jan. 11, and did not receive degrees in June. Middlesex County District Attorney Edward Bedrosian maintained that Gomes, who acquired about $68,000 of the stolen money, should serve nine months in jail, while Pomey, who received nearly $23,000, should serve 30 days. The judge will decide whether or not to accept Gomes’ and Pomey’s pleas on Oct. 3.

-Courtesy of Harvard Crimson

Cornell: Professor Indicted

A Cornell pre-law professor, Mark Belnick, was indicted on Sept. 12 by the New York Supreme Court, charged with six counts of falsifying business records in the first degree. Belnick is a former general counsel of the Tyco Corporation, and allegedly forged documents to cover up the $14 million that he improperly granted himself to purchase a $10 million vacation home in Utah and a $4 million apartment in Manhattan.

Belnick faces up to four years in prison, though a trial is at least a year away.

-Courtesy of Cornell Daily Sun

Middlebury: New Dining Hall and Dorm Completed

On Sept. 13, Middlebury celebrated the construction of a new dining hall, Ross Dining, and dormitory, La Force Hall, in what completes the $19.5 million first phase of a restructuring of Middlebury’s residential system.

Middlebury is attempting to create small communities, known as commons, where social and academic life come together. Ross Commons is the first to be completed and contains four more preexisting dorms.

Phase two of the restructuring, the building of Atwater Commons, has begun and will be completed in 2004.

– Courtesy of Middlebury Office of Public Affairs