Spring Street Blues

Campus Safety Services

Wednesday 9-1-21

7:00 a.m.: A resident in College housing on Southworth Street reported an odor of gas around the building. Campus Safety Services (CSS) officers found the odor coming from an exhaust vent.

Thursday 9-2-21

6:29 a.m. Paresky Center: An officer responded to an accident involving a truck and a trailer. The Williamstown Police Department (WPD) responded and completed an accident report.

Friday 9-3-21

1:44 a.m.: CSS received a report of several students urinating on other students’ belongings in a residence hall. Officers responded, located, and identified the individuals.

Saturday 9-4-21

12:29 p.m. Weston Field: An officer heard a car alarm, and people in the area said the alarm had been going off for about an hour. The owner was identified and contacted to turn it off.

1:05 p.m. Cole Field: Officers and Northern Berkshire EMS responded to a report of a student who broke their leg. The student was transported to Southern VT Medical Center for treatment, and he returned later in the evening.

Sunday 9-5-21

1:30 p.m. Morgan Hall: A student reported that their room door could be pushed open, even when it was shut and locked. Architectural Trades was contacted and responded to fix the door.

5:05 p.m. Fayerweather Hall: Officers responded to a fire alarm and found that a pull station had been accidentally activated as students were moving in. The alarm was reset.

9:23 p.m.: CSS released luggage that had been lost in transit to a student.

Monday 9-6-21

1:55 p.m. Morgan Hall: Officers responded to a report of a bat in the basement and were able to capture the bat. They released it outside after confirming it did not touch anyone.

5:19 p.m.: An officer found an unattended 30-pack of beer outside a residence hall and confiscated and disposed of it.

Tuesday 9-7-21

9:39 a.m. Morgan Hall: Officers responded to a fire alarm and found a student who said they were using their hair dryer under the detector, which set off the alarm. Officers double-checked the area and reset the system.

12:10 p.m.: CSS received a complaint of a large group of students running down Green River Road. The students were taking up a good portion of the travel lane and not paying attention to vehicle traffic. This information was passed on to Athletics.

1:50 p.m. Kellogg House: A child’s toy was found with hurtful images and writing on it, and officers confiscated it. It is unknown who wrote those things or to whom the writing was directed.

8:13 p.m. Parking Garage: CSS received calls from two students who were at the parking garage check-in site and found it closed. They were informed the site closed at 8:00 p.m. and would need to find a hotel room for the night.

Wednesday 9-8-21

10:35 a.m. Cole Field: CSS received a report of a moose and sent an officer to monitor the area. The WPD also responded and assisted in moving the moose back along into the woods. 

Thursday 9-9-21

10:20 a.m. Parking Garage: Officers found a large amount of graffiti on the middle level. The graffiti was not there when officers at the garage detail left at 8:00 p.m. the night before. A work order was placed to have the graffiti removed.

3:06 p.m.: An officer took a report of a stolen College laptop, completed a Stolen Article Report, and notified the Office of Information Technology. 

Friday 9-10-21

11:28 p.m.: Custodians reported a smell of incense in a residence hall. An officer investigated and found the smell to be more like cologne. No incense or candles were seen. 

Saturday 9-11-12

4:42 p.m.: CSS received a report of a water pump that would not shut off at Weston Field.  The responding officer could not shut off the water either, so Mechanical Trades was contacted for assistance.

Sunday 9-12-21

1:09 a.m.: Officers responded to a residence hall for a heavily intoxicated student. 911 was activated, and Northern Berkshire EMS responded and transported the student to Berkshire Medical Center North Adams for treatment.

12:00 p.m. An alum who was visiting campus found their bike, which they had reported stolen two years ago. They confirmed the bike was theirs and CSS released the bike to them.

5:53 p.m. A student called to report that their bike was stolen. Information was gathered and a Stolen Article Report was completed. It was not the bike discussed above.

Monday 9-13-21

10:52 a.m. Weston Field: A custodian reported damage and vandalism in a bathroom. Someone reportedly took soap from the dispensers and threw it on the mirrors and walls, took all of the toilet paper, and broke one of the toilet-paper dispensers.

9:54 p.m. Paresky Center: A student reported their bike stolen from outside of Paresky. A Stolen Article Report was completed, and the WPD was advised of the theft.

Tuesday 9-14-21

11:40 a.m.: Several purple and yellow swings were found on campus. They were removed for safety reasons and held for safekeeping.  CSS is trying to make contact with the owners.

5:38 p.m. Susie Hopkins: Officers responded to a fire alarm.  Residents inside had been cooking chicken, and the pan had begun to smoke. The area was ventilated, and the system was reset.

Friday 9-17-21

1:39 p.m.: A student called requesting assistance with cutting the lock off of their bike. The student lost the key to the lock, but provided proof of ownership. The officer was unable to cut the U-bolt style lock and contacted Architectural Trades for assistance.

Saturday 9-18-21

12:08 a.m. Spencer House: While on routine patrol, an officer found a large party. There were approximately 75 students in the basement, unmasked. Several students were identified and asked for more information. A keg, a keg tap, a cow suit, and stereo equipment were confiscated. The officer checked the area later and found it cleaned and mopped.

12:45 a.m. Paresky Center: Several students were found unmasked at Whitmans’. After being reminded of the masking policy, they put on their masks.

6:54 p.m. Garfield House: CSS received a noise complaint. When officers arrived, the group in question had dispersed.  Officers spoke with the reporting party, who stated the group was chanting profanities and derogatory statements towards women. CSSis investigating.

11:00 p.m. Spencer House: An officer responded to a recurring door alarm. The officer found a party taking place on the first floor. Roughly 100 students, most of whom were not wearing masks, were in attendance. The remaining alcohol was disposed of and a couple of students stayed to clean up the area. A drinking funnel was also confiscated.  

Sunday 9-19-21

6:21 p.m.: A Visa credit card was turned in to CSS by Dining Services. The name on the card did not match any name in the College’s databases.  The card was secured in a locked valuables box in CSS.