One in Two Thousand: Sunny Hu ’24

Justin Zen

(Justin Zen/The Williams Record)

Each week, we randomly select a unix from a list of all current students at the College for our One in Two Thousand feature. As long as the owner of a selected unix is willing to be interviewed and is not a member of the Record board, that person becomes the subject of our interview. This week, the computer (using a script in R) chose Sunny Hu ’24, who talked about moving into Bryant House; her go-to coffee order; and her two dogs, Wren and Forrest. This interview has been edited for length and clarity.

Justin Zen (JZ): We both live in Bryant, and our common rooms are actually right next to each other. How are you liking it so far? 

Sunny Hu (SH): I think it’s really convenient. And it’s really nice that our pods get their own crooms. For us, it’s just six people. So we got six here, then you guys there, and it’s nice — there’s [only] a door separating [us], so if we ever want to do stuff, we can do it. And I think it’s amazing that for the B and C sides, we’re all sophomores, I think. It’s really great because in general, Greylock has a lot of juniors and seniors, so it can feel kind of isolating when it’s just upperclassmen. It’s nice to see familiar faces, right? And it also helps that our H[ouse] C[oordinator]s are both sophomores. 

JZ: What about moving in — do you think you’ve finished unpacking everything? 

SH: I moved in on the 5th. And I did finish unpacking — it was a really big thing. I think in storage, I probably had seven boxes, but because I drove from New Jersey, I also brought eight bags. We definitely always overpack, and I bring too much. 

JZ: Do you like New Jersey compared to Massachusetts? Do you miss Wawa [a convenience store chain popular in New Jersey]? 

SH: No, I’m actually not a big Wawa fan.

JZ: Oh, really? 

SH: Yeah, I never got into the whole Wawa thing. But they do have those milkshake things where you spin it up … those are good. But I’m not a big Jersey fan. I would prefer to live anywhere else. Like last year, people who lived on my floor know that because I was born in California, I would always be super adamant that I’m Californian at heart. I only lived there for three years. I don’t think I appreciate New Jersey enough. I don’t know. I just don’t really identify with it after living there for more than 10 years. 

JZ: So you would describe yourself as more of a California girl? 

SH: This is so embarrassing to say. I don’t want to identify as [being from any state], but “I’m from California” sounds so much cooler to me than “I’m from New Jersey.” It’s always embarrassing. You know, when you introduce yourself in class and you say where you’re from? I’m like, yeah, I’m from New Jersey. 

JZ: What activities are you involved with this semester? 

SH: Last year, I was always super busy, but now, I think that what’s good is that I’m on CASO [Chinese American Students Organization], so I can spend a lot of time organizing stuff this year since we’re in person. And then I’m starting a campus job at the career center. I’m excited to be able to try new things. 

JZ: Do you think you’d work at Goodrich or Tunnel? 

SH: I don’t think so. I don’t have any experience, but I’ve always wanted to work at a boba shop or a cafe because I’m a really big coffee lover. I love iced coffees and stuff. 

JZ: What’s your go-to coffee order? 

SH: I would say an iced latte with two pumps of caramel and then two creamers. I like things like caramel and hazelnut syrups. Yeah, I prefer cold drinks over hot drinks as well. What’s your go-to coffee order? 

JZ: I usually get an iced Americano, just straight black. 

SH: How do you drink that? It’s so bitter. 

JZ: It is really bitter, yeah, but you kind of just grow used to the taste. It’s like after a while, the bitterness tastes good … You have dogs, don’t you? 

SH: How do you know about that? 

JZ: I think I’ve seen them on your Instagram story before. 

SH: OK, I have two dogs. They are the love of my life. 

JZ: What are their names? 

SH: So the first one, she’s the older one — she’s a small dog. She’s a fluffy white dog, and her breed is Bichon Frise. Her name is Wren. I really like her name. As a tiny dog, she barks a lot and has a personality that’s kind of like a diva queen. 

JZ: Is she vicious? Like those chihuahuas? 

SH: Not vicious. She can be sweet and stuff; she just knows what she wants. The other dog we have — his name is Forrest, named after Forrest Gump because that’s my mom’s favorite [movie]. He’s a Golden Retriever.

JZ: Aww.

SH: Yeah, whenever I tell people that, there’s always an “aww” after. But they’re definitely an interesting duo. Because she’s six times smaller than him and small enough to fit on his back.