The Student-Run Newspaper of Williams College Since 1887

Andrew Everett ’92 and Elise Newhall Everett ’94

January 10, 2021

When Elise Newhall Everett decided to matriculate at the College, her mother gave her a piece of advice: “Whatever you do, stay away from those prep school boys.” And she did just that up until her sophomore year, when she joined the Women’s Club Hockey Team, which was coached by senior (and prep school graduate) Andrew Everett. 

“It was funny, right?” he said. “Because it’s a delicate line between a fellow student but also the coach, and then you develop a crush on your first line left wing thinking, ‘Okay, this is a little awkward,’ but not really ever wanting to do anything about it. But also not wanting to not do something about it.”

After struggling with these conflicting thoughts and feelings, Andrew Everett decided to wait until the season was over. A week after the season ended, he approached her while she was doing math homework. It took nearly 15 minutes before he was able to muster the courage to ask her to watch a movie.

“Sure, Coach,” she said.

“I was like, ‘Let’s use Andrew here,’” he recalled.

But two weeks later, she was on the phone with her mother, explaining that she was considering not seeing him again. After all, she was busy — not only was she on the hockey team, but she was also on the tennis team and the pre-med track. 

“She basically just didn’t have any time for some lax bro dude in her life,” Andrew Everett said.

Fortunately for him, Elise Newhall Everett’s mother convinced her to give him a chance and to see their relationship out to the end of the year. They have been together ever since.

After years of being mostly long-distance, Andrew Everett proposed while the two were on a cross-country road trip to Seattle. But the ring he presented wasn’t a traditional engagement ring. Instead, it was a blue candy pop ring, a callback to a running joke from college that the only ring she ever needed was a sucker ring. For the rest of their engagement pictures, Elise Newhall Everett had blue lips and a blue tongue.