Spring Street Blues: From the files of Campus Security

Monday 4-30-18

7:34 p.m. Currier Hall: Several students dancing in the ballroom had opened the door, activating the alarm. The door was closed, and the alarm was reset.

7:55 p.m. A student came into the Campus Safety and Security (CSS) office to report that his wallet was stolen from his room while he was asleep. The door was not locked at the time. A stolen article report was filled out and faxed to the Williamstown Police Department (WPD).

10:53 p.m. Currier Hall: The annunciator panel indicated an activated smoke detector. Officers smelled burnt marijuana and observed a very thick haze of smoke in the room. Inside the room, ashes were found on a plate on the desk, inside the open desk drawer and in the trashcan. After venting the room, officers reset the fire alarm. Photo evidence was taken.

Tuesday 5-1-18

7:10 p.m. Schapiro Hall: An officer responded to a report of an injured student. The student fell off their bike while coasting and standing on the pedals. The student had some scrapes and reported hitting their head. The officer transported them to the emergency room at Berkshire Medical Center North.

Wednesday 5-2-18

11:42 p.m. Morgan Hall: Officers responded to a noise complaint. They informed the resident, who was having a loud conversation on the phone.

Thursday 5-3-18

10:12 a.m. East College: Safety and Environmental Compliance staff called CSS about an odor of marijuana. Officers determined that the smoking was coming from a particular room. The resident of this room did not answer. Officers announced themselves and entered the room. In open view on top of the desk, there was an ash tray full of cigarette butts, a mason jar with marijuana residue in it and a marijuana grinder with residue in it. On the desk chair was a black tray with marijuana residue on it. Evidence was documented and the contraband confiscated.

8:34 p.m. Mission Park: Officers responded to a report of a squirrel trying to get into the dorm. They found a young baby squirrel in the area (without an ID for entry). Using a utility net, an officer captured the squirrel and released it a few hundred feet from the entrance. Dispatch received a call from a student about a half hour later reporting that the squirrel was back. The squirrel was captured in the utility net and released behind Cole Field House.

Friday 5-4-18

1:26 a.m. Mission Park: Officers responded to a medical emergency. A student reported a sudden nose bleed. Upon the officer’s arrival, the nose had stopped bleeding. The student explained that in the middle of cooking dinner, their nose had started bleeding out of nowhere. They did not want to go to the emergency room.

9:13 p.m. A brief power dip was experienced on campus due to a severe thunderstorm that came through the area. Both the on-campus electrical tradesmen and mechanical tradesmen were notified of the brief power dip and the need to check critical systems. The Office of Information Technology was notified of the Jesup trouble alarms that had been received after the power dip.

Saturday 5-5-18

12:59 p.m. Prospect House: Officers responded to a report of a “beer party.” Officers found a group of six students and alums. They were of age to drink. They were asked to take the party inside. The group departed the area.

2:50 p.m. Gladden House: Officers responded to two separate calls reporting a woman yelling. Officers found a room with two students arguing.

5:25 p.m. An officer was flagged down by a parent of a high school track and field participant and was advised that there were students inside the construction site at the Water Street dirt lot. The parent noticed a “frat party” on Meadow Street and several students climbing the fence to sit on the construction equipment. Officers found a party on Meadow Street but did not see anyone inside the construction site at this time.

11:21 p.m. Sage Hall: Officers were dispatched for a general noise complaint. The officer could hear loud music and people yelling from multiple areas of Sage. Most fled the building when they saw the officers. The officers heard multiple students saying that this was a “generations party.”

11:34 p.m. Hoxsey Street: Officers responded to a noise complaint. An officer noticed eight students on a balcony. Officers spoke with the students on the balcony and advised them of the noise complaint.

Sunday 5-6-18

12:30 a.m. Jesup Hall: Officers responded to an intrusion alarm. They found that a student had walked through the high-security and armed area to get to the bathroom.

1:13 p.m. Williams College Museum of Art: An officer responded to a report of a sinkhole. The officers found a hole in the tar on the backside of Fayerweather Hall. An officer placed a cone over the hole, and a work order was placed to repair the hole.