Semiannual approval ratings: Majumder, faculty earn high marks

Over the past week, the Record conducted its biannual survey measuring student opinion on a number of campus offices and institutions. Students had the option to answer “approve,” “disapprove” or “neutral.”

The survey was distributed to 500 randomly selected students. Of that number, 193 completed the survey, yielding a response rate of 38.6 percent. The 95 percent confidence interval for each approval rating ranged from five percentage points to seven percentage points.

At 88 percent, the faculty had the highest approval rating out of all groups measured. Integrative Wellbeing Services (IWS) had the lowest approval rating at 30 percent. Medical services had the highest disapproval rating at 25 percent.

Interim President Protik Majumder had the lowest disapproval rating at 0.5 percent, along with an approval rating of 66 percent. This is in sharp contrast with the ratings of former President Adam Falk, who in his final survey had both an approval rating and a disapproval rating of 28 percent.

The approval rating of Dining Services fell from 75 percent to 63 percent since last semester, a statistically significant difference. Disapproval of Dining Services rose from 10 percent to 13 percent. Meanwhile, the Record’s disapproval rating fell  11 percentage points from 22 percent to 11 percent, which sits on the border of statistical significance.

The entry system’s approval rating did not greatly change, with approval rising from 60 percent to 62 percent and disapproval remaining steady at 19 percent. This lack of significant difference is relevant, given the changes announced to the Junior Advisor (JA) and entry systems in recent months.

All other differences between these approval ratings and those from the December 2017 survey were not statistically significant.