Men’s lacrosse falls in NESCAC semifinals

Men’s lacrosse (9–8, 6–4 in the NESCAC) lost to Wesleyan 13-5 in the NESCAC semifinals on Saturday. Wesleyan broke open a 1-1 tie in the first quarter with a five-goal streak that stretched into the second quarter.

Wesleyan opened the scoring when Ronan Jacoby scored an unassisted goal at 10:21 in the first quarter. Cory Lund ’21 tied the game at one when he converted off the rebound of a shot by John Hincks ’20. Lund scooped up the ball in front of Wesleyan goalie Otto Bohan and flipped the ball over the left shoulder of Bohan for the score.

After the Lund tally, Wesleyan ran off four unanswered goals to take a 5-1 lead at the end of the first quarter. Jacoby netted two more goals, with Harry Stanton and Cole Turpin also scoring for the Cardinals.

Turpin’s goal at 13:38 in the second quarter elevated the Wesleyan lead to 6-1, resulting in the Ephs calling a timeout to re-group. A Brendan Hoffman ’20 low laser from 17 yards out to the right of Bohan narrowed the Wesleyan lead to 6-2 with 5:15 left in the half. Kevin Stump ’20 was credited with the assist on the Hoffman score. Taylor Ghesquiere scored with 59 seconds left in the first half and restored the Cardinals’ five-goal lead at 7-2. Lund answered Ghesquiere’s goal 37 seconds later when he was set up on a pass from Matthew Seligson ’20, scoring from in front with a quick shot to cut the lead to 7-3. With two seconds remaining in the half, Eph defender William Sperry ’20 scored his first goal of the season, an unassisted shot that brought the score to 7-4 at the end of the first half.

Wesleyan scored the only two goals of the third period, giving the Cardinals a 9-4 lead with one quarter left. Ghesquiere scored unassisted, while Ryan Lynch assisted on a Carter Hawthorne goal.

Ghesquiere’s third goal of the game made the score 10-4 in favor of the Cardinals with 9:44 left in the final quarter. With 4:53 left in the game, Jacoby scored unassisted for his fourth goal of the contest, giving Wesleyan an 11-4 lead.

With 3:52 remaining, Hincks and co-captain James McFarland ’18 teamed up for an Eph goal. Hincks found McFarland free about 15 yards out to Bohan’s left. McFarland unleashed a screamer inside the near post, resulting in the only score of the second half for Williams.

Jacoby answered the McFarland goal with his fifth goal on the day, with Stanton assisting. Tom Martello scored the final goal of the game when Colin Uyeki set him up for a score with 1:01 remaining, bringing the final score to 13-5 in Wesleyan’s favor.

“It was a competitive game early on, but our inability to take advantage of the early scoring opportunities came back to haunt us,” Eph head coach George McCormack said. 

Lund led the Ephs with two goals. George Peele ’20 made 13 saves and allowed 13 goals. The Cardinals collected 29 ground balls to the Ephs’ 23. Wesleyan turned the ball over 15 times, and the Ephs committed 12 miscues. Wesleyan outshot the Ephs 41-34.

The Ephs graduate co-captains Henry Hobbs ’18, Nicholas Fils-Aime ’18, McFarland, Benjamin Fox ’18 and Greg Plumb ’18 as well as Chris McLaughlin ’18, Brian Bissell ’18, John Lee ’18 and Matthew O’Conner ’18.