Images to open second theater in former Red Herring

In a press release last Wednesday, Images Cinema announced the launch of Cinema Pop-up, a second theater that is scheduled to open to the public on Friday with a showing of The 19th Annual Animation Show of Shows.

The new cinema, housed adjacent to Images’ current location in the Walden Building, will offer an intimate viewing space with seats for up to 26 people. The expansion will be located in the space previously occupied by The Red Herring, the restaurant and bar that closed this past year, although the entrance to Cinema Pop-up will be the same as that for Images’ main theater.

In the press release, Images Board President and Associate Professor of Computer Science at the College Brent Heeringa wrote, “The possibility of adding a second screen has long been a topic of conversation for the organization… When the opportunity to explore the idea in a more meaningful way with a pop-up cinema presented itself, it was too good to pass up.”

The second space will allow Images to expand its offerings to the community, giving the theater the ability to simultaneously screen two different works. For example, while Cinema Pop-up will screen The 19th Annual Animation Show of Shows, a collection of 16 animated shorts from around the world, starting on Friday, the main screen at Images will play Tully. The new pop-up theater will also be available as a rental space for special events, birthdays and private screenings.

“We can’t wait to introduce our audience to Cinema Pop-Up,” Executive Director of Images Doug Jones wrote as part of the press release. “The second screen will allow us to show more movies to more people.”

Established in 1916, Images has adapted over the years along with the film industry, and Cinema Pop-up represents the latest initiative by the theater to continue refining its viewing experience for the community. The first opportunity for the public to visit the new space will be at an open house tomorrow from 5:30 to 7 p.m.

“The early response to the idea of Cinema Pop-Up has been great,” Managing Director of Images Janet Curran said. “Some people were so enthusiastic – they helped us clean and paint the space. This effort, like so much here at Images, would not be possible without the support of our community.”

After more than a century of continuous operation, Images’ latest endeavor will continue to expand the organization’s impact in Williamstown and the broader region while also revitalizing the space of the former Red Herring as a gathering place for the community.