Spring Street Blues: From the files of Campus Security

Monday 4-23-18

11:29 a.m. Williams Hall: An officer was dispatched for damages resulting from an unregistered party. The plastic cover to the wall thermostat was missing. The light cover near the sink was smashed.  One of the emergency lights in the bathroom was broken, and another section was missing.

11:39 a.m. Williams Hall: The Safety and Environmental Compliance Office informed Campus Safety and Security (CSS) of paraphernalia found in the D entry. Officers responded to a report of a covered smoke detector and collected photo documentation and  evidence. The students received a $250 fine for indoor smoking and a $500 fine for tampering with fire safety equipment.

Tuesday 4-24-18

6:00-8:00 p.m. Gladden, Carter, Fitch, Dodd, Garfield and Morgan: Officers discovered marijuana and smoking materials during spring fire drills. They took photos and collected evidence; they referred violators to the Dean’s Office.

8:09 p.m. Susan Hopkins: An officer discovered six juvenile chickens inside an aquarium during spring fire drills. The aquarium had a clamp light with an aluminum reflector on it, which was plugged into a power strip. Photos were taken. The Safety and Environmental Compliance manager confiscated the chicks and aquarium.

8:11 p.m. Garfield House: An officer discovered a smoke detector covered with a plastic shopping bag and coat hanger during spring fire drills. Officers took photos and issued a $250 to $500 fine for tampering with fire safety equipment.

Thursday 4-26-18

1:01 p.m. Jerome Drive: Williamstown Police Department (WPD) contacted CSS about a dog complaint. A Williamstown resident had contacted WPD about two dogs running loose on a College-owned property.

8:01 p.m. Southworth Apartments: WPD called CSS to request that an officer respond to a report of an unwanted guest.

Friday 4-27-18

4:48 p.m. Agway Gate: A grounds foreman reported a vehicle parked on the grass. Five cars were found parked partially on the grass. A couple of students came down to move their vehicles. Only one vehicle caused damage to the grass. Officers took photo documentation.

6:16 p.m. Williams Hall: An officer responded to a report of damage to a door in the B entry. The officer found that one of the wooden panels on the door had been kicked in from the outside and was lying on the floor. The on-call architectural tradesman was contacted.

10:45 p.m. Garfield House: Officers found an unregistered party of approximately 15 students with hard alcohol in the library and living room area playing “Jeopardy!” They disposed of the alcohol and broke up the party. They referred violators to the Dean’s Office.

Saturday 4-28-18

5:38 p.m. Bronfman Science Center: Officers responded to a report of water pouring through the elevator shaft. They determined that the water was coming from the elevator pit, which was full of water. CSS contacted facilities and submitted a work order.

Sunday 4-29-18

7:57 a.m. Hoxsey Street: A town resident came to CSS with a complaint about the amount of litter strewn up and down the street. WPD received a similar complaint.