Spring Street Blues: From the files of campus security

Monday 4-9-18

10:34 a.m. Chaffee Tennis House: An officer responded to a burglary alarm for the office door and office motion detectors. The officer found the office door unlocked. The officer secured the door and re-armed the system.

Tuesday 4-10-18

11:56 a.m. Mission Park: The south entrance emergency phone was activated. Dispatch reported that they could hear a lot of voices. An officer found a large group of middle school-aged children walking up the sidewalk towards Williams Hall. No one was around the phone. A student stated to the officer that he saw one of the little kids from the group that walked by pressing buttons. The phone was working properly.

7:29 p.m. Stetson Road: Dispatch received a call from an unidentified woman reporting that there had been a vehicle, driven by a person that she believed to be a member of the baseball team, driving in reverse at a high speed near Cole Field. The woman was upset that there are no signs along the roadway advising drivers to slow down and to be aware of the heavy pedestrian traffic. An officer responded to Cole Field and found that there was nobody left at the field.

Wednesday 4-11-18

12:24 a.m. Susan Hopkins: An officer observed, through the front window, students running out of the first floor common room and up the stairs. There was a smell of burnt marijuana in the common room. Along with the strong marijuana smell, there was an open window and multiple lighters.

Thursday 4-12-18

11:05 a.m. Lasell: An athletics department administrator reported a small hole through a south window at the Lasell administrative offices. The hole appeared to be from a projectile, possibly a BB or pellet. There was no glass or projectile found either inside or outside. The Williamstown Police Department was called to respond. Staff there were unsure of how long the window had been damaged.

11:32 a.m. Williams Hall: Officers received a complaint of the smell of smoke from the E entry.

Friday 4-13-18

3:40 p.m. Cole Field: An officer was patrolling the area, traveling south on Stetson Road, when he witnessed a black vehicle with Maryland plates that he recognized as a student vehicle traveling north at an excessive speed. The driver swerved erratically to avoid a bicyclist who was also traveling toward the field. The officer was doing a transport and, after dropping off the passenger, they responded to the field to record the vehicle information. The officer issued a citation for unsafe operation.

6:23 p.m. 32 South St.: A tenant called in a report that there was a water leak in his upstairs bathroom and that the smoke detectors were going off. Electrical tradespeople were called and responded. They replaced the heat detector once the ceiling dried.

Saturday 4-14-18

12:31 a.m. Paresky: Officers responded to a report of a male student passed out face down in a bathroom stall. His only response to questions was groaning, dry heaving and spitting on the floor. Due to his condition and his inability to communicate, 9-1-1 was activated. Custodians assisted in getting into the locked stall. The student was still unresponsive. The student was very uncooperative but was eventually transported to Berkshire Health North.

12:47 a.m. West College: Officers responded to a welfare check on an intoxicated student. Upon arrival, officers found the student sitting up on the bed, coherent and talking. The student had been vomiting, but had since been eating food and drinking fluids. The caller advised the officers that he would be staying with the student for the night and taking care of them. Officers deemed that this was all right and the student did not need further assistance.

3:59 p.m. Gladden: An officer was dispatched to do a room opening. While there, the officer observed, in plain view, that the smoke detector in the room was covered with a sock. The smoke detector also had a zip-lock baggie taped around it. The student was advised that they would be hearing from Fire Safety for tampering with a smoke detector. A $250 to $500 fine will be issued.

Sunday 4-15-18

11:41 a.m. Gladden: Officers responded to multiple noise complaints and a report of someone overhearing something about starting a fire. Officers found a group of students being loud and drinking beer outside the entrance and in the basement. The group included both students and visitors. They all said that they were not setting anything on fire outside but that they were smoking cigars. Officers checked the area outside and found no evidence of anything being burned. There was underage drinking occurring. They were advised of the complaint. The party ended, and the area was cleaned up.