Women’s lacrosse falls to Amherst, Tufts

Olivia Gomez ’21 scored two goals in the women’s game against rival Amherst last Saturday. Photo Courtesy of Sports Information.

Women’s lacrosse (4-6, 1-5 in the NESCAC) lost to Amherst 14-8 on Saturday at home and fell to Tufts 14-11 in a Wednesday road game.

Saturday’s rival game started out aggressively. Four minutes into play, Claire Fitzpatrick ’21 received the first of four yellow cards in the game for slashing. Shortly after this penalty, Amherst scored the first goal of the game, an unassisted shot down the middle by Claire Dunbar.

After several more minutes of play punctuated by unsuccessful free position attempts, the Ephs put their own score on the board. A free position attempt for Emma Tenbarge ’19 led to a goal with her low, high-speed shot sneaking between the goalie’s legs. Eight minutes into play, the score was tied at 1-1.

This tie score did not last, however, and this first goal from the Ephs was followed by six consecutive goals from the Mammoths. Julia Crerend scored three goals and Dunbar assisted on three.

Williams got in one more goal before halftime, a shot from the left side by Meghan Halloran ’21 with Fitzpatrick on the assist. Amherst then scored twice more.

At the end of the half, the Mammoths were up 9-2.

In the second half of the game, Amherst netted five goals. Of these, Crerend scored two. The Ephs netted six goals, with Fitzpatrick and Olivia Gomez ’21 each scoring twice. Fitzpatrick also posted two assists.

Head coach Alice Lee commented on the loss. “We were a little slow to get started,” she said. “We came in hot in the second half, and we just needed to find that sooner. We went out with a lot of fire, caused so many turnovers in the second half and just went at them hard. Offensively, we went straight for the cage, and it was hard for them to stop us once we got started.”

On Wednesday, after a close first 20 minutes, Tufts pulled ahead at the end of the first half and held the lead to the end for a final score of 14-11.

The women started out strong offensively, taking advantage of a turnover from the Jumbos early on to open the match with two shots in the first two minutes—one a free position shot from Fitzpatrick and the other a shot on goal from Tenbarge, both saved by Tufts goalie Audrey Evers.

Williams put the game’s first points on the board four-and-a-half minutes into play with an unassisted goal by Fitzpatrick. She drove the ball in from the top of the 8 for what Lee called a “great take.” The Jumbos retaliated quickly, and within 40 seconds, they had their own score, shot by Annie Sullivan and assisted by Catherine Lawliss.

The two teams exchanged points, with neither side gaining more than a single point lead until the final 10 minutes of the half. Tufts’ Caroline Nowak took a pass from teammate Maria Dattolo and netted the ball with the clock at 9:56, giving the Jumbos a lead they would hold through the remainder of the game.

Following the Nowak goal, the Jumbos scored four more unanswered goals.

Though the Ephs matched the Jumbos for points in the second half, they were unable to regain the ground they had lost at the end of the first half. The closest the score came afterwards was within a two-point margin (10-8 at 15:30 and 12-10 at 9:47).

Tufts led 32 to 24 in shots and 26 to 18 in shots on goal. In scoring, the Jumbos’ Nowak was at the head of the pack, posting five goals and two assists. She was followed by Kara Wollmers ’20, who scored four times. Defensively, the Ephs shone in several areas. Lee was proud to see the team “shut [Tufts] out on their free positions” in addition to maintaining an overall strong showing in goal. Eph goalkeeper Kami Cisneros ’20 led with 12 saves to her opponent’s seven.

The women faced Hamilton on the road last night, but results came in too late to report. On Saturday, they will travel to take on Colby at 12 p.m. in Waterville, Maine.