Men’s lacrosse loses to rival Amherst, drops to 3-3 in NESCAC play

Kevin Stump ’20 put the ball in the net three times for the Ephs, including two goals in the last period on the road against Amherst. Photo courtesy of Sports Information.

Men’s lacrosse (4–6, 3–3 in the NESCAC) lost to Amherst last Saturday on the road. The Ephs were defeated by the Mammoths (9–2, 5-1 in the NESCAC) 19-9.

Leading 6-3 with 7:19 to go in the second quarter, Amherst launched a streak of eight unanswered goals to pull away. A goal from Maxwell Stukalin ’20 eventually broke the streak, but Amherst then notched another four unanswered goals.

The Ephs came out with a bang to start the rivalry game with a score from co-captain James McFarland ’18 assisted by Cory Lund ’21.

The Ephs’ goal was matched at 12:03 with the Mammoths’ first goal of the game, scored by Evan Wolf and assisted by Colin Minicus. Kevin Stump ’20 brought the advantage in favor of the Ephs, making the score 2-1, but the Mammoths then notched four straight goals. John Coffey scored twice, and goals from Ethan Kazmierski and Matt Solberg extended the Amherst lead to 5-2 at the end of the first quarter.

At the start of the second quarter, Amherst took control with a score from Coffey, assisted by Minicus. Lund then scored an impressive goal, but Amherst countered with two more scores by Coffey and Wolf. The score at the end of the first half was 8-3 in favor of Amherst.

The Mammoths took control of the third quarter by scoring six unanswered goals, with one goal each from Trenton Shore, Wolf and Max Keeley and three scores from Minicus. In the final minute of the quarter, Stukalin found the back of the net, bringing the score to 14-3 in Amherst’s favor going into the final quarter.

After winning the opening face-off, Drew Kelleher ran down the field in just seven seconds and ripped a shot bottom-left to give the Mammoths an 11-goal lead. Kelleher’s goal led to a four-goal streak for Amherst. Brendan Hoffman ’20 then netted a goal for Williams.

At 10:41, Stump earned a hard-fought goal for the Ephs, which was quickly followed by three consecutive scores from McFarland, Stump and John Lee ’18. Amherst emerged victorious at the end of the final quarter with a score of 19-9.

The Ephs were led by Stump with three goals, followed by McFarland with two scores. The Mammoths were led by Minicus with four goals and five assists and Coffey with five goals and one assist, followed by Solberg and Wolf.

The Ephs used two goalies: George Peele ’20 had 12 saves in 45 minutes of play, and Harry Gahagan ’21 registered one save in 15 minutes of play.

Eph head coach George McCormack commented on the game. “[Saturday] was a tough loss against a good team, but we’re positive and looking to bounce back next game at home, he said.

The Ephs hosted Hamilton last night, but the results came in too late to report. The men return to action on Saturday, when they host Colby in a NESCAC matchup at 1 p.m.