Women’s lacrosse drops three consecutive games to start season

Mid elder Emma TenBarge ’19 scored five goals in Saturday’s 15-10 loss to Trinity on Farley-Lamb Field. Photo Courtesy of Sports Information.

Women’s lacrosse (0–3, 0–2 in the NESCAC) lost  its third straight game of the season on Saturday. The women lost to Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) 10-6 on the road on March 6 before falling 15-10 to Trinity at home on Saturday.

The women came into Saturday’s contest as the underdog against No. 3 Trinity, with Trinity pulling away late for the win.

At the start of the contest, the Ephs opened up a 3-1 lead on goals by Claire Fitzpatrick ’21, Kat Fearey ’18 and Emma TenBarge ’19. However, the women then surrendered four goals in a row to fall behind 5-3.

Grace O’Donnell led Trinity with five goals on six shots. It was O’Donnell’s goal at 20:27 of the second half that established a Bantam lead 9-8. Trinity did not look back afterward and went on a 5-0 run.

The match ended in a 15-10 Eph loss. TenBarge was the top scorer for the Ephs with five goals, and Kara Wollmers ’20 added three.

Trinity goalie Zoe Ferguson stopped 12 of 22 Eph shots on the day. Eph goalie Kami Cisneros ’20 played the majority of the game, recording three saves on 17 shots. Ana Alvarenga ’19 played the final six minutes in the net, allowing one goal.

The Ephs had 15 turnovers on the day, while the Bantams turned the ball over 13 times.

Head coach Alice Lee reflected on the loss. “Our team played really hard [on Saturday], and they fought together,” she said. “We told them going into the game that this game was going to be about heads up, hustle play. Those are the little moments that build the momentum for our team. I really liked our composure on our attacks today and our ability to adapt. Defensively, I liked our ability to stick with the game plan and adjust when needed. I felt everyone had little moments where they made a play to help us.”

On March 6, the Ephs faced RPI in Groton, Conn. The Engineers scored two quick goals and, though the Ephs continued to fight hard on defense, RPI scored again to take a 3-0 lead.

After a timeout, Fearey netted the Ephs’ first goal on an assist from TenBarge, who won draw control after the return from timeout and made the most of it. The Ephs continued forward with this momentum, and just 40 seconds after their first goal of the game, they had their second, a quick shot into the net from TenBarge that cut the deficit to 3-2.

The Engineers responded with a goal of their own, and then the Ephs answered back. Up 4-3, the Engineers scored a fifth goal followed by a sixth with just 21 seconds remaining in the first half, which ended with RPI leading 6-3.

RPI scored again early in the second half, but before long, the Williams players struck back. Suzanna Penikis ’19 assisted Wollmers on a goal with 22:18 on the clock, a shot that breezed past the goalkeeper and into the bottom-left corner of the net. 30 seconds later, Penikis netted another goal for the Ephs with a deft low shot.

The Engineers scored again at 13:49, and the Ephs called another timeout. They returned to the field with reinvigorated offensive power. Then, with just under nine minutes of play remaining, Fitzpatrick took the shot that put the sixth Williams goal on the board.

Though the women took several more shots, RPI played fiercely and did not allow any more goals. The Engineers managed to add two more goals, making the final score 10-6.

Wollmers scored two of the six Eph goals. Cisneros saved six shots, and RPI goalkeeper Aleena Milinski saved seven.

Lee commented on the day’s competition. “We gave RPI too many opportunities, and it’s a good team [that was] able to capitalize on those possessions,” she said. Lee viewed this loss as a positive opportunity, saying it would be “helpful for us to refocus our energy in our practices moving forward.”

The women play a road game at Connecticut College at 12 p.m. on Saturday. They will then travel to Florida over spring break.