Men’s track competes at Nationals

At Div. III Nationals, Tobias Muellers finished fourth overall in the hepthalon with a school record of 568 points. Photo courtesy of Sports Information.

Seven athletes from men’s track and field competed in the NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championship, and the team placed 34th overall. On Friday, Dan Renwick ’21 and co-captain Tobias Muellers ’18 competed in the first four events of the heptathlon, while Kevin LaFleche ’20 competed in the preliminary round of the 800-meter run. Later, LaFleche joined Peter Kirgis ’20, Tristan Colaizzi ’20 and Lucas Estrada ’20 in the distance medley relay.

The day began with the heptathlon. Muellers and Renwick each got off to a strong start, both contending for All-American positions. In the 60m dash, Muellers won his heat, finishing sixth overall in 7.33 seconds. Renwick finished ninth overall in 7.39 seconds. In the long jump, Muellers shook off two fouls to finish second overall, jumping 6.64m. Renwick placed 11th with a jump of 6.21m. In the shot put, both Muellers and Renwick continued to flirt with All-American positions, finishing eighth and 10th with throws of 11.33m and 11.17m, respectively. Finishing the day with the high jump, Renwick finished ninth overall, clearing the bar at 1.81m. Meanwhile, Muellers was 12th with a mark of 1.78m. At the end of the day, Muellers stood in seventh and Renwick in 11th.

LaFleche had a great day in the 800m. He finished fourth in his heat and seventh overall in 1:53.12, qualifying for the final on time. Later, LaFleche competed in the distance medley relay along with Kirgis, Colaizzi and Estrada. Kirgis opened the race with a strong 1200-meter leg, handing off to LaFleche in the 400m. Colaizzi worked hard in his 800-meter leg before handing off to Estrada for his 1600-meter leg. Estrada ran a fast 400m to catch up with the pack but unfortunately lost contact at the end. The relay team finished 11th overall in a time of 10:12.97.

In the second day, Muellers was ranked seventh in the heptathlon after four events. Renwick was ranked 11th but unfortunately had to scratch the final three events due to injury. In the 60m hurdles, Muellers ran a personal best of 8.72 seconds for eighth overall. He tied for fourth in the pole vault, clearing 4.30m.

In the final event of the day, the 1000-meter run, Muellers finished second with yet another personal best of 2:39.17. With that last sterling performance, Muellers moved up to finish fourth overall in the heptathlon with a school record of 5068 points. LaFleche competed in the 800m final, finishing eighth overall in 1:57.19 for All-American honors.

In the 3000-meter run, Liam Simpson ’18 ran with the leaders for the first 2000 meters. Although he faded in the last few laps to a 14th-place 8:32.87 finish, Simpson looks poised to compete well for the Ephs this outdoor season.

Head coach Ethan Barron was pleased with the team’s performance, “I thought it was a good meet,” he said. “[Renwick’s] injury was tough, but I was impressed with how we competed. We had a lot of guys in their first trip to NCAAs, and they didn’t miss a beat. We didn’t beat ourselves in any way.”

The Ephs finished 34th overall with six points. This meet concluded the men’s indoor season. They will return to competition on March 22 at the University of California, Riverside Multi Invitational.