Women’s track races at Tufts Last Chance Qualifier Meet

On Saturday, women’s track and field traveled to the Tufts Last Chance Qualifier Meet in Medford, Mass. to take advantage of the last weekend to qualify for the NCAA Championship.

Izabelle Ith ’20 and Caitlin Ubl ’19 finished 10th and 11th, respectively, in the 60m hurdles against a competitive field. In adjacent lanes, the two Ephs sprinted to respective times of 9.16 and 9.17.

Kene Odenigbo ’19 registered a pair of sixth-place finishes in the high jump and the triple jump. She cleared 1.52 meters in the high jump and leapt 11.04 meters in the triple jump.

Cailin Stollar ’21 also had a great day on the runway, achieving a personal-best 10.66m when landing in  the sand for an eighth place finish on the day.

In the long jump, Astia Innis ’20 took advantage of a bouncy runway to jump 5.29m for fifth place. Having had a breakout season in the jumps, Innis looks forward to taking her talents outdoors. The pole vault duo of Kelsie Hao ’21 and Maggie Murphy ’19 represented Williams well, clearing 3.31m and 3.16m to take fifth and eighth place, respectively.

Perhaps the most impressive performances of the day were in the middle- and long-distance events. Emma Herrmann ’20 ran a season-best time in the 5000, pushing herself to a 17:55.78 final result.

Eliza Matt ’18 and Stella Worters ’18 worked together to push the pace in the mile. Matt took the lead and strung out the pack over the course of the final lap to finish in 5:01.73. Worters ran her signature gutsy race from start to finish, holding on for a 5:06.00 finish.

Earlier in the day, the distance medley relay had been disqualified. Some early contact in the race led to a dropped baton during the first leg.

Anna Passannante ’20, who had been scheduled to run the 800 leg in the distance medley relay, instead entered the open 800 for one final race. Passannante extended her season one more weekend and punched her ticket to the NCAA Championship.

After a relatively slow 600 meters, she took the lead and laid down a blistering final 200 meters in a kick that left all of her accomplished competitors behind. In her first open 800 of the season, Passannante ran a 2:14.80 to qualify for Nationals.

Co-captain Kayley McGonagle ’18 spoke of the team’s goals for Nationals. “I hope our relay can run as fiercely as we have been,” she said. “I also hope we don’t put too much pressure on ourselves, since that has helped us achieve success in the past.”

As the indoor regular season draws to a close, the women will send a large squad to contend for the NCAA Div. III title in Birmingham, Ala. on Friday and Saturday.