Athletes of the Winter

David Italiano ’18

Men’s ice hockey

Toronto, Canada

David Italiano ’18 was named to the All-NESCAC Second Team as the men’s leader in assists and points, with nine and 31, respectively. He came in second on the team in goals, with 10. Against Babson on Nov. 25, Italiano scored his first goal of the season. On Dec. 2, Italiano slotted in two consecutive goals in the third period against the Camels, helping the Ephs to a resounding league win. He has capitalized on power plays in particular, scoring four times this season with the man advantage. For his career, Italiano played in 104 games, recording 95 career points on 41 goals and 54 assists.

Emma Waddell ’18

Women’s swimming and diving

Bangor, Maine

Co-captain Emma Waddell ’18 was awarded the honor of NESCAC 2018 Swimmer of the Year and Four-year High Point Swimmer. Waddell has consistently dominated in the sprint fly, freestyle and individual medley at both the NESCAC and national levels. In the women’s rest dual meet of the season against Spring eld, Waddell finished first in the 200 butterfly, and she and three others placed first in the 400 medley relay. On Jan. 13 against Connecticut College, Waddell won both the 50 and 100 and was part of the winning 200 medley relay team. At the NESCAC Championships, Waddell placed first in the 100 fly and second in the 100 free. She also touched in the silver position in the 200 individual medley. In the 100 fly, Waddell broke her own pool record of 53.74 to cap off an exceptional career.

Nicole Friedman ’18

Women’s squash

Great Neck, N.Y.

The No. 1-ranked player on women’s squash the last four years, co-captain Nicole Friedman ’18 led the No. 12 women to a second-place finish in this year’s NESCAC tournament. One of Friedman’s season highlights was a victory against No. 13 University of Virginia with a score of 11-5, 8-11, 11- 3, 11-6. In the semifinals of the NESCAC championship, she beat her opponent in four games (11-6, 10-12, 11-8, 11-3) en route to a victory over Middlebury. Friedman has earned First Team All-NESCAC honors in every one of her seasons at the College. Individually, she is ranked 54th on the College Squash Association Adult Women ranking.

James Heskett ’19

Men’s Baseketball

Cincinnati, Ohio

Last year, James Heskett ’19 averaged 7.2 points per game o the bench. This season, the All-NESCAC forward exploded to 19.3 points per game. On Feb. 28, he became only the fourth Eph to be named NESCAC Men’s Basketball Player of the Year, leading the NESCAC in both scoring and 3-point percentage. On Jan. 17, Heskett hit a stepback go-ahead 3-pointer against Amherst to seal a thrilling victory. On Jan. 26, Heskett had a career-high 34 points in a 75-58 win over Trinity. Most notably, in the first week of February, Heskett was named NESCAC Player of the Week after averaging 23 points in three games and shooting 51.5 percent from the floor and 54.5 percent from beyond the arc. In the NESCAC Championship game against Wesleyan on March 3, Heskett dropped 21 points to help the men secure their first NESCAC title in eight years.