Spring Street blues: From the files of campus security

Monday 2-19-18

5:30 p.m. Paresky: The loading dock door was reported to be unlocked and swinging in the wind. An officer found that the arm to the piston was not attached. An on-campus tradesperson was contacted and was able to repair the issue. A work order was issued.

Tuesday 2-20-18

8:48 a.m. Poker Flats: A custodian reported an older gentleman sitting in a vehicle outside the south side of Poker Flats. Officers responded and identified the man as an insurance adjuster checking a client’s vehicle for reported damage.

10:05 a.m. Griffin Hall: Campus Safety and Security (CSS) received a report from a faculty member about a woman behaving strangely. The professor reported that the woman entered Griffin 6 just as class was ending. The woman asked the professor to confirm that she was a real person, and she said that she did not feel like a real person. She presented a business card and started to ramble and act strangely. The professor began to leave, and the woman ran out. The name given allowed CSS to identify the woman as a person known to have had past incidents on campus and with a county police agency. CSS contacted the Williamstown Police Department, and shortly after, they reported that they identified and spoke with the woman on Spring St.

9:43 p.m. Poker Flats: The Stetson Rd. emergency phone was activated. Officers did not see any blue lights flashing on any of the emergency phones at Mission Park, Thompson or Stetson Rd. or anyone in the vicinity seeking assistance.

10:30 p.m. Doughty: Officers responded to a bat flying around inside.

Wednesday 2-21-18

5:46 a.m. Parking garage: A report was made of someone sitting in their running car. The person in the car was identified as a contractor working at the new Science Center waiting to go to work.

3:09 p.m. Tyler Drive: A damage report was made regarding a broken bike shed door.

Thursday 2-22-18

7:00 a.m. Chandler Pool: The burglary alarm at the pool office was activated. A student lifeguard and swimmers were on site, but the system had not been disarmed.

9:32 a.m. A facilities tradesperson came to the CSS office to report significant damage that they had found near the West College steam tunnel. An officer responded to the West College basement steam tunnel area. There was damage to the wall, steel plates and electronic security system.

Friday 2-23-18

8:04 p.m. Morgan Hall: Officers responded to a steam tunnel for a motion alarm activation. The cause of the alarm is unknown.

Saturday 2-24-18

12:19 a.m. Morgan Hall: Officers responded to a noise complaint of loud talking. The officers found eight students sitting on the floor talking and listening to music. They were advised about the noise complaint and promised to keep it down.

3:37 p.m. Pilgrim Inn West: An officer verified a report of no hot water and discovered that the unit was not running. An on-call mechanical tradesperson was contacted and responded to repair the issue.

6:53 p.m. Pilgrim Inn West: The residents called back to report that the hot water was still not working. The on-call mechanical tradesperson was on campus for another issue and was advised of the second call. They responded and were able to correct the issue.

6:07 p.m. Dodd: Dining staff reported that, due to an event in Dodd, the heat was too high in the space. An officer responded and found that it was 80 degrees in the dining area and probably over 90 degrees in the kitchen area. The heating unit in the kitchen area was on at full blast, and the unit would not turn off. An on-call mechanical tradesperson was contacted and was able to turn the unit off.

10:45 p.m. Sawyer Library: The intrusion alarm was set off by two students who had been playing video games. Both said that they did not know that the library was closing early.

11:47 p.m. Mission Park: Officers responded to a tip-line complaint of a loud party in Pratt. They found 10 to 15 students in a common room talking loudly, but there was no music on at the time. The students were advised of the noise complaint. They all agreed that they would keep the noise down.

Sunday 2-25-18

2:18 a.m. Sage: Officers responded to help a first-year who had had too much to drink. CSS activated 9-1-1. North Adams Ambulance arrived on the scene and transported the student to Berkshire Health North. Custodians were contacted to clean the area.

12:20 p.m. Center for Developmental Economics: A student called to report a leak in their room. The on-call architectural tradesperson was called and responded.

2:03 p.m. Schow Library: An officer responded to a report of a leak.