Spring Street Blues: From the files of campus security

Monday 2-12-18

5:31 p.m. Lasell: Campus Safety and Security (CSS) received a call from the Fitness Center Monitor reporting blood spots in the men’s locker room. The source of the blood was unknown. An officer responded and posted a warning sign until custodians could clean it up.

5:51 p.m. East: Officers responded to a report of someone yelling. They checked all three floors and could not hear anyone yelling, so no further action was taken.

7:33 p.m. Officers responded to the physics building for a report called into dispatch by a faculty member of a student there in distress. Officers assisted with connecting the student to a College counselor.

11:26 p.m. Sage: Dispatch received a call from Williamstown Police Department requiring assistance with a student due to concern for their wellbeing.

Tuesday 2-13-18

9:20 p.m. A College counselor asked CSS to locate a student whom he believed needed to go to the hospital for an evaluation. The student was located and services were offered.

Wednesday 2-14-18

4:53 p.m. Carter: Officers responded to a student concerned about a peer in crisis and provided counseling and transport services.

11:58 a.m. Lansing Chapman Rink: An officer responded to provide transport to Health Services for a student who twisted their knee during a skating class.

4:09 p.m. Chandler Gym: An officer responded to a report by the Fitness Center Monitor of a potentially unauthorized person swiping into the entrance to Lasell.

Thursday 2-15-18

9:13 a.m. Spring Street: Officers responded to the bench near the Williams Shop and Goff’s Sports on a call from an employee reporting another injured employee. The employee had injured their ankle, was struggling to walk and was assisted to a bench between Morgan Hall and Goff’s.

Thursday 2-15-18

3:34 p.m. The Health Center called asking for an officer to locate a student who missed a medical appointment and could not be reached by phone or email.

11:23 p.m. Fitch House: While driving past the building, an officer noticed a large group of people in the basement window. Officers went inside and found an unregistered party with about 40 students playing beer pong.

Friday 2-16-18

11:46 p.m. Officers responded to a report of people skateboarding in the parking garage. Four non-students were found skateboarding on the second floor. They were identified and advised of the campus rules concerning skateboarding. They understood and left the area.

Saturday 2-17-18

9:37 a.m. Chandler Pool: A custodian called dispatch requesting a mechanical tradesperson to address floor drains backing up in the showers of the men’s general locker room. An officer confirmed the issue. The locker rooms were being used by 10 schools visiting for the NESCAC swim tournament. The on-call mechanical tradesperson responded.

1:44 p.m. Rogers House: An officer responded to a tenant issue concerning a mouse infestation and a washing machine problem. Officers contacted appropriate personnel.

5:06 p.m. Lasell Gym: Officers responded to a report of unwanted guests. Three individuals were identified, and they departed the building without incident. 

6:16 p.m. Thompson Parking Lot: An officer responding to a tip line could hear a car alarm when he first entered the lot, but the alarm stopped before it could be identified. The officer waited in the lot for a few minutes, and the alarm did not sound again. Another officer was in Tyler Annex for a call a short while later and could once again hear the alarm going off. The officer then identified the vehicle and contacted the owner.

10:00 p.m. Lehman Hall: Officers responded to a student slip-and-fall accident resulting in an injury. Upon arrival and assessment, 9-1-1 was activated for a head injury. The on-campus custodians were asked to clean up blood. 

Sunday 2-18-18

12:23 a.m. An officer was asked to rendezvous near the state line with a Vermont State Trooper who was transporting three College students. They had been involved in a motor vehicle accident in Pownal in which the occupants were all fine, but their car had been rendered inoperable and had to be towed. The State Trooper drove the students as far as the Stewart’s Gas Station, but they could not cross state lines. CSS received authorization to leave campus and met them there to transport the three students back to campus. 

12:37 a.m. Mills: Officers filed a report upon finding the fourth-floor common room trashed.

1:10 a.m. Carter: Officers responded to the Carter C common room for a medical emergency. Dispatch had already activated 9-1-1 due to the information given, and a student was transported to Berkshire Medical Center North.

2:06 a.m. Dodd: An officer was dispatched to evaluate a student who had vomited several times but was feeling better. The student was coherent and able to carry on a conversation clearly. The student’s friends decided to keep watch for the time being and call back if there was any need.

6:07 a.m. Sloan House: An officer responded to a burglary alarm in the first-floor north hallway. Upon arrival, there were no exterior or interior signs of anyone present.