Track teams compete at Boston University

A small contingent of No. 23 men’s track and field and No. 1 women’s track and field competed last weekend at the David Hemery Valentine Invitational hosted by Boston University.

The women’s events took place on Friday. Tyra Wynn ’19 ran a season-best time of 5:23.99 in the mile, battling competitors all the way through the final straight. Davis Collison ’21 took advantage of the facility’s banked track to run a stellar season-best of 26.28 in the 200m.

The relay team of co-captain Kayley McGonagle ’18, Kate Kennedy ’18, Megan Powell ’20 and Ella Dunn ’21 ran a season-best time of 3:54.09 in a close and well-fought race. Their time currently ranks No. 3 in Div. III this year.

Head coach Nate Hoey commented on the upcoming indoor New England Championships. “We have had our share of adversity, but things are coming together, and we are really looking forward to this weekend,” Hoey said. “New England is arguably the strongest region in the country, so it is a very competitive meet across all event areas.”

On the men’s side, athletes looked to secure qualifying marks against professional, Div. I, Div. II and Div. III competition at a world-famous track.

The distance medley relay team consisting of Tristan Colaizzi ’20, co-captain Tobias Muellers ’18, Kevin LaFleche ’20 and Peter Kirgis ’20 competed on Friday evening in one of the few men’s events of the day. Colaizzi led the team off with a strong 3:03 in the 1200-meter leg before handing off to Muellers. Muellers ran a quick 48-second 400-meter leg, while LaFleche brought the baton to Kirgis after running a 1:53 800-meter leg. Kirgis competed with a strong 4:14 1600-meter leg as the Ephs finished ninth in 9:58.71.

On Saturday, co-captain Alex Cowen ’18, Jackson Ennis ’20 and Felix Biwott ’21 competed in the 800m. Cowen shook off a month of interrupted training to run a fast 1:55.84, finishing third in his heat. Ennis ran a smooth, even race, finishing with a personal-best of 1:58.76, his first time below two minutes. Biwott kicked hard to finish in 2:00.32.

In the 400m, Elliott Fong ’19 and Dysron Marshall ’20 each had solid performances. Marshall ran a 50.52, while Fong ran a 52.46.

In the 1000m, Nick Gannon ’20 and Chris Avila ’21 sought qualifying times for the Div. III New England Championships. Gannon ran a smart race, closing well to finish in 2:33.82, well under the qualifying standard. Avila, meanwhile, ran aggressively for the qualifying standard. His finishing time of 2:34.87 on Boston’s banked track converts to 2:37.005 on a flat track.

Many Ephs competed in the mile. Lucas Estrada ’20 took charge of his heat, leading most of the race before finishing a close second in 4:16.27, a personal-best by more than four seconds. In the next heat, Ben Hearon ’20 and Jake Lange ’21 each had good races, finishing in 4:20.51 and 4:23.14, respectively. Hearon’s performance was a personal-best.

Sam Gilman ’21 finished second in his heat with a personal-best 4:23.45. Later, Jenks Hehmeyer ’20 and Zeke Cohen ’19 competed in their own heat. Hehmeyer ran a measured and well-paced race, closing hard to finish in 4:32.98. Cohen, meanwhile, shook off the last vestiges of injury and race-rustiness, finishing in 4:34.96. In the next heat, Matthew Peacock ’21 ran a tremendous race, running away from the pack in 4:33.92.

Two throwers, Mykel Miller ’20 and Magnus Herweyer ’20, also competed, with Miller reaching 10.60 meters in the weight throw and Herweyer reaching 14.47 meters in the shot.

Both teams will compete at the Div. III indoor New England Championships this weekend. Middlebury will host the men’s meet, while Springfield College will host the women’s meet. Both competitions begin at 2 p.m. on Friday and continue at 11 a.m. on Saturday.