Men’s, women’s swimming and diving drop meet to Div. I Boston College

Co-captain Emma Waddell ’18 placed second in the 100 freestyle. Photo courtesy of Sports Information.

No. 12 men’s swimming and diving (2–1) and No. 3 women’s swimming and diving (2–1) both fell to Div. I Boston College on Sunday. Competing in Boston, the men lost 188.5-91.5, and the women were defeated 176-124.

Despite the loss, the women put up a formidable effort and pulled off a number of individual event wins.

In the 1000 freestyle, Gwyneth Maloy ’21 claimed first with a time of 10:33.89. The momentum continued in the 200 freestyle, in which Laura Westphal ’21 took first in 1:52.86. Westphal also won the 100 freestyle with a time of 52.86, followed closely by co-captain Emma Waddell ’18, who touched at 53.06 for second.

Although the women were most successful in the freestyle events, they put up a fight in other events as well. One of the most notable swims came from Caroline White ’20, who won the 100 breaststroke in 1:06.06.

The afternoon concluded with the 400 freestyle relay, in which the Eph A team of Delaney Smith ’18, Maloy, Westphal and Waddell closed with a win and a time of 3:33.22.

The meet was the first the women lost in 44 meets. The Ephs have prevailed in 75 consecutive Div. III meets.

Head coach Steve Kuster felt the competition was a healthy challenge for the women. “We took a big step up in competition against Boston College,” he said. “There were tons of close races, and there were lots of bright spots and plenty of things to improve.”

The men also managed to gain valuable experience facing a Div. I team regardless of the loss.

The middle and distance  events proved to be strongest for the Ephs. In the 200 freestyle, Jamie Lovette ’21 finished first in a blazing 1:43.09, his fastest time of the season. Behind him, David Pearcy ’21 and Michael Cassidy ’18 also contributed fast swims, with respective times of 1:46.76 and 1:48.72.

In the 500 freestyle, Lovette edged out a Boston College swimmer by 0.15 seconds, winning in 4:43.95. Following in third behind Lovette was Andrew Trunsky ’20, who touched at 4:47.86.

Trunsky claimed a victory of his own in 1000 freestyle, leading a one-two Eph finish. Trunsky’s time was a blistering 9:43.00, and Jackson Karofsky ’21 took second in the event with a 9:46.08.

Lucca Delcompare ’20 also added strong swims in the butterfly events. He took second in the 200 butterfly with a season-best 1:55.41 and was the top Eph finisher in the 100 butterfly, coming in sixth with another season best of 52.89.

Boston College’s Taylor Cortens posted a quick 2:03.92 to win the 200 breaststroke, breaking a pool record that had stood since 1991.

Despite the loss, Kuster said the team effort and attitude were excellent. There were numerous fast swims across the board, and the energy was palpable.

“The men have had a solid start to the season thus far,” Kuster said. “We’ve gotten some good racing in, and I look forward to our quad meet next weekend. We have a smaller group this year, and a few guys we are still getting back from injury. We’ll need everyone healthy and performing well in order to keep pace with a very challenging schedule ahead.”

Kuster added that the team will work hard to prepare for the upcoming meets. “I’m looking forward to a great week of work and to next weekends matchups,” he said.

Both teams compete again on Saturday at 1 p.m. in a tri-meet. In Middletown, Conn., the men will face Tufts and Wesleyan, while the women will take on Tufts and Worcester Polytechnic.