Volleyball drops NESCAC quarterfinal match to Wesleyan 3-0

Opposite hitter Morgan Richman ’19 had 50 kills, 65.0 points and 115 digs for volleyball this season. Photo courtesy of Sports Information.

Volleyball (11–12, 5–5 in the NESCAC) fell 3-0 to eventual champion Wesleyan in the first round of the NESCAC tournament on Friday.

The No. 7 seed Ephs and No. 2 seed Cardinals traveled to Medford, Mass., for the tournament, which was hosted by top seed Tufts.

Wesleyan took an early lead in the first set. Kills by Ally Ostrow ’19 and Erin Denham ’20 then narrowed the deficit to 4-3, but the Cardinals continued to push ahead with strong hitting and serving. With the Ephs down 19-8, Natalie Albright ’20 recorded a kill off of an Alex Newton ’20 set, but Wesleyan prevailed 25-11.

At the start of the second set, the Cardinals jumped out to a 6-1 lead with strong hitting. After taking a timeout at 13-6, the women won four straight points, with kills from Denham and Albright. However, Wesleyan pushed the lead to 23-12. Roxy Corbeil ’21 got a kill for the Ephs, but the Cardinals won the second set 25-14.

In the third set, Corbeil notched an early kill to put the women up 2-1. After a few more points, Newton set up Ostrow for a kill to bring the score to 6-5 in Williams’ favor.

The teams remained neck-and-neck for most of the set, but Wesleyan took a 15-13 lead. The Ephs could not stop the Cardinals’ run, and the gap grew to 21-14. Wesleyan won the final set 25-17, clinching the match.

“I think Friday was a rough [match] as we struggled a bit from the start and tried to battle our way back,” head coach Christi Kelsey said. “We could never really [string together] enough points at the right times.”

Kelsey also reflected on the season as a whole. “We are incredibly proud of our group and just how far we have come this year,” she said. “The last month of the season, we really played some of our best volleyball right up until tonight. We are incredibly upbeat about the potential of this group and our future.”