CC announces results of fall elections

On Sept. 26, College Council (CC) announced the results of the organization’s fall elections via a campus-wide email. Voting opened Sept. 24 and closed shortly before CC released the results. As most of CC’s executive board is elected to year-long terms in the spring, this election had races for only the assistant treasurer and class representative seats.

Tyler Stebulis ’21, who ran uncontested, will serve as assistant treasurer until the beginning of the spring term, as will the newly-elected class representatives. Stebulis is excited to get to work. “I’m ecstatic!” Stebulis said. “It’s unreal, honestly. I’m looking forward to gaining experi-ence, and handling students’ issues as effectively as possible. I really want to make a change for the better, and if anyone sees something on campus that they’d like to see changed I’d be more than happy to try and help!”

Tony Fitzgerald ’18, Katherine Priest ’18, Lauren Steele ’18, Julia Yarak ’18, Chanel Palmer ’19, Harmon Pardoe ’19, Moises Roman ’19, Abel Romero ’19, Carlos Cabrera-Lomeli ’20, Ashwin Dasgupta ’20, Vijay Kadiyala ’20 and Ellie Sherman ’20 will represent their respective classes. In addition, Stephen Ankoue ’21 (Williams Hall), Georgia Keogh ’21 (Sage Hall), Vicky Liu ’21 (Armstrong/Pratt) and Onyeka Obi ’21 (Mills/Dennett) will serve as representatives for their first-year dorms.

The election also included voting for student members of the Honor and Discipline Committee, who will each serve for a year. Representatives will include Zach Brand ’19, Cassie Deshong ’21, Nicholas Goldrosen ’20, Jad Hamdan ’19, Jerry Li ’18, Holly MacAlpine ’20, Mohammed Memfis ’21 and Cassandra Pruitt ’18. Donglin Zhang ’19 will replace Brand for the spring semester.

Turnout for the assistant treasurer race was at 26 percent. Turnout in the senior, junior and sophomore elections ranged from 18 percent for senior Honor and Discipline Committee representative to 28 percent for sophomore CC representative, which was the only contested race in this group. Turnout for Armstrong/Pratt representative was 32 percent in the only uncontested first-year race, while all others had above 50 percent turnout. These turnout rates are in line with last fall’s turnout and lower than last spring’s, though spring turnout rates are generally higher than those in the fall (see “CC Elections Bring New Reps to Council,” Sept. 28, 2016).

Vice President for Communications Michael Rubel ’19 has two ideas to improve future turnout. One is switching to a more user-friendly polling software and the other is having CC members not running for elections set up stations in public places where students can vote, as CC did in Doddrich for this election cycle.

“I’m confident a more modern software could help boost turnout,” Rubel said. “The election’s physical presence on campus is key to turnout … and that’s something I’d like to focus on going forward.”

Additionally, Rubel thinks it is important that CC recruit more candidates. “In that respect, our biggest goal should be getting upperclassmen involved,” Rubel said. “There’s some inherent difficulties in recruiting juniors and seniors: … CC needs to find innovative ways to communicate that CC can be a channel for those older students’ experience and perspective on campus. I think the key factor in achieving that goal is communicating CC’s work on campus and making our meetings and procedures more accessible than ever.”

CC co-President Web Farabow ’18 said that he is ready to get to work.

“We’re thrilled to welcome a new council that includes five returning members and 11 first-time representatives,” Farabow said. “We were impressed by the quality of this year’s self-nominations and can’t wait to get started.” According to Farabow, projects on the agenda for this semester include implementing a new student organizations bystander training program and improving Winter Study programming.