Field hockey upsets Trinity 3-2 in opener

Co-captain Hannah Goodrick ’18 had an assist in the win over Trinity. Photo courtesy of Sports Information.

On Saturday afternoon in Hartford, Conn., No. 19 field hockey (1–0, 1–0 in the NESCAC) defeated Trinity, ranked 10th nationally, 3-2 in its season opener.

Williams carried play from the start and did not allow a Trinity shot on goal until 20:43 minutes had elapsed.

Co-captain and forward Alex Bennett ’18 scored the Ephs’ first two goals early in the contest. She recorded one at 4:43 and a second at 10:52 to stun the hosts. Forward Meredith Wright ’19 assisted on the first goal, and co-captain and midfielder Hannah Goodrick ’18 assisted on the second. Throughout the game, Bennett fired off 12 shots, and 10 were on goal.

Alison Slowe tested Eph goalie Emma Santucci 19 at 28:48 with a shot, but she kept the Bantams off the scoreboard. Trinity goalie Lori Berger turned aside eight shots by the Ephs in the first half and allowed two goals while Santucci stopped all three shots on goal from the Bantams.

Head Coach Alix Barrale ’93 put Abby Lloyd ’20 in goal in the second half.

Regarding the substitution, Barrale explained, “The switch was planned before the game, and both goalies have great strengths that we wanted to play to. Emma is a calming force on the field while Abby has a ton of energy that really helps us on defense, especially in the second half during fatigue.”

Wright netted the game-winner at 38:50. Her goal, assisted by Bennett, came just over a minute after Kelcie Finn scored the Bantams’ first goal at 37:25.

Defender Marissa Feller ’20 made a great save at 45:25 to block another shot by Finn and protect the Ephs’ two-goal advantage, but the Bantams did score a second goal at 51:42. Finn found Chandler Solimine in the circle with a pass, and Solimine slotted the ball into the net.

Barrale emphasized her focus on Finn, the 2016 NESCAC Player of the Year. “Our plan was to faceguard her with Isabel Perry [’20] marking her tightly,” Barrale said. “She’s an incredible offensive force, and we knew her having any freedom on the field would be deadly. The Ephs held Finn to six shots in the game.

Eph forward Libby Dolan ’19 registered five shots, and the team had 19 overall and 17 on goal. The Bantams recorded 13 shots and 11 on goal.

Additionally, the women committed 56 fouls and received three penalty corners while Trinity committed 17 fouls and had eight penalty corners. Feller led the Ephs with two defensive saves, and Bantam defender Madison Guiffre had a game-high three.

The Ephs have now defeated the Bantams in four consecutive games, including last year’s NESCAC quarterfinal.

Today at 6:30 p.m., the women will host Mount Holyoke.