Chorzepa ’17, Seyfried ’19 excel at NCAA Wrestling Championships

Tri-captain Chris Chorzepa ’17, a three-time All-American, is now the Ephs’ all-time wins leader. Photo courtesy of Scott Honecker.

Last weekend, Brendon Seyfried ’19 and tri-captain Chris Chorzepa ’17 competed at the NCAA Div. III Wrestling Championships in La Crosse, Wis. Both earned All-American honors; Seyfried was seventh at 141, and Chorzepa placed eighth at 184. 

In his five years at the College, Head Coach Scott Honecker has helped his wrestlers earn nine All-America honors, more than  any coach in school history.

On Friday, Seyfried fell to Baldwin Wallaces Joshua Decatur in his first match of the tournament. With 17 seconds left in the match, Decatur recorded a takedown to win 3-1.

The loss moved Seyfried into the wrestleback bracket, where he faced Wisconsin-Whitewaters Devin Tortorice in a pivotal match. Seyfried won 7-6 with a late escape, keeping his tournament alive. Against Wisconsin-Oshkosh’s Kody Azarian, he ended matters in the second period, recording a fall at 4:20.

Chorzepa, who entered the Championships seeded second, faced Alma’s Trent Hullett in the first round. Chorzepa had built a 9-5 lead by the third period but was pinned after getting up from the down position. With the loss, Chorzepa moved to the wrestleback bracket.

He notched a 7-2 victory over Cortland State’s Deuly Espinal, setting up a bout against Patrick Rooney of the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy. The match went back-and-forth, but Chorzepa prevailed 8-7.

On Saturday, Seyfried opened against Joseph Ferinde of Johnson & Wales. After three scoreless periods, Ferinde won on his two minutes of riding time. In the seventh-place match, Seyfried bounced back to take a 2-1 win over Yorks Gregory Warner.

Chorzepa withdrew on day two for medical reasons, ultimately finishing eighth.

He concludes his collegiate career with a 130-14 record and a winning percentage of .903.

Honecker praised the wrestlers for their performances.

“The weekend was not without adversity, but Chris and Brendon persevered,” he said. “Brendon put the country on notice this weekend. He has made tremendous sacrifices this season, and he has not even approached his potential.”

Honecker lauded Chorzepa for his accomplishments.

“Chris has been the total package for four seasons,” he said. “He has the work ethic, passion and competitive fire that champions are made of. 

“The program will miss the fantastic example he consistently set for his peers. Chris impact will resonate throughout this team for years to come.”