Women’s lacrosse loses 12-6 to Trinity, beats RPI 13-7

On Monday, women’s lacrosse (1–1, 0–1 in the NESCAC) evened its season record with a 13-7 win – Head Coach Chris Mason’s 300th career victory – over the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Engineers at home.

Prior to the win, the Ephs fell to No. 3 Trinity 12-6 on Sunday evening.

Suzanna Penikis ’19 and Emma Tenbarge ’19 fueled the Eph attack against RPI. Penikis had a game-high five goals, and Tenbarge netted four and recorded one assist.

Williams never trailed in the contest.

The game was scoreless for the first seven-and-a-half minutes until Penikis scored from 18 yards out on a feed from Tenbarge. RPI goalie Aleena Milinski had stopped the first six shots on goal by the women.

The Ephs doubled their lead at 15:55 when Caroline Hogan ’18 passed to Kara Wollmers ’20, who was running down the middle of the offensive zone 12 yards out from the goal. Wollmers fired a shot over Milinski’s left shoulder.

At 12:37, the Engineers got on the scoreboard, but just over two minutes later, Hogan scored. Wollmers soon netted her second goal of the game, this time unassisted, when she came around the goal from Milinski’s left and whipped a low shot into the goal, upping the Eph lead to three.

RPI’s second goal came on a free position tally at 7:24. At 6:30, the Ephs retaliated when Eliza Quigley ’19 converted off of a pass from Louisa Ebby ’20. Both teams scored again before the first half concluded.

Penikis opened the second half with two unassisted goals in the first 45 seconds. RPI responded with a score, but Penikis could not be stopped. She notched her third unassisted tally of the half and the fourth goal of the game at 13:09 when she got in on Milinski’s left side and fired a quick shot. The Ephs re-established their five-goal lead, 9-4.

RPI soon scored again, but at 9:29, Tenbarge raced across the goal front and side-armed a shot into the net. Co-captain Jenna Chodos ’17 earned the assist.

With 6:33 remaining, Penikis netted her fourth goal of the half and fifth of the game when she converted on a free position opportunity.

The Engineers scored twice more, but Tenbarge maintained the Ephs’ lead with two unassisted goals.

RPI goalie Aleena Milinski stopped 10 shots and allowed 13 goals, while Ephs’ netminder Ana Alvarenga ’19 denied seven shots by the Engineers and allowed seven goals. Williams had 17 turnovers on the day, and RPI turned the ball over 13 times. Both teams gathered in 17 ground balls.

Mason commented on her 300th career win. “We were happy to see better possession of the ball and good goal production, as well as a strong performance by the defense and Alvarenga in goal,” she said.

“It was a great team effort for our first win and so exciting to get to celebrate [Coach Mason] and her 300th win,” co-captain Brett Bidstrup ’17 said. “I am proud to be part of the long legacy of players that have been coached and mentored by [Mason].”

Suzanna Penikis ’19 had a game-high five goals against RPI in Head Coach Chris Mason’s 300th career victory on Monday evening. Photo courtesy of Sports Information.

On Sunday, the women lost to Trinity 12-6. The season opener for both teams was a reminder of the high level of competition in the NESCAC.

The two teams trading goals for the first few minutes of the game. Quigley scored a free position shot at 9:42 seconds left of the first half, narrowing the score gap to 3-2. Within the next minute, however, the Bantams began to pull further away. They extended their lead to 5-2 by halftime.

The Bantams maintained a healthy lead throughout the remainder of the game, and the Ephs never came within three points of a tie.

“We had a tough first game with Trinity, which is a very strong team,” Mason said. “We played fairly well defensively and in goal. While we had some very nice goals, we know we need to handle the ball better in all areas of the field.”

Trinity goaltender Zoe Ferguson saved nine of the 15 shots on goal in today’s game. Ephs’ goalie Margaret Draper ’17 stopped five of the Bantams’ 17 shots.

The six Williams goals were scored by four different players. Tenbridge and Chodos both notched two, and Quigley and Penikis also scored.

On Saturday, the women will travel to Brunswick, Maine for a NESCAC road contest against Bowdoin that will start at 12 p.m.