Ephs beat Bantams to kick off season

Tri-captain Michael Fahey ’17 scored two goals and had four assists in Sunday’s 15-12 win over Trinity. Photo courtesy of Sports Information.

Men’s lacrosse (1–0, 1–0 in the NESCAC) opened its season on Sunday with a 15-12 victory over Trinity.

The game started off with a run by the Bantams, who won the first faceoff and scored the first two goals of the game. The Ephs responded with goals from Brendan Hoffman ’20 and tri-captain Thomas Fowler ’17.

The second quarter started off in a similar fashion with Trinity scoring three straight goals. The men answered with a goal by Ben Fox ’18, assisted by tri-captain Michael Fahey ’17. The Bantams notched another goal before Max Stukalin ’20 and Fowler scored, so Trinity had a 6-5 lead at halftime.

The third quarter started off on a great note for the Ephs with a faceoff win by Brian Bissell ’18 and another goal by Stukalin, which tied the game. The teams traded goals, and then the men took the lead for the first time on a score from John Hincks ’20.

The Ephs tallied two more goals in the quarter, but Trinity answered with three in a row to make it 10 all heading into the final quarter.

Williams took a 12-10 lead early in the fourth on goals by Fowler and James McFarland ’18. Trinity responded with two goals to tie the game for the fourth time.

The men broke the tie with a crease crank from Fahey on a feed from Stukalin. Ephs’ goalie George Peele ’20 then hit tri-captain Riley Hoffman ’17 with a long pass. Hoffman fired a low shot intwwo the net, bringing the score to 14-12 with 5:37 left in the game.

Fahey tallied the game’s final goal, and the Ephs won 15-12.

Fowler netted four goals in the game, and Stukalin added three. Fahey also had two goals and four assists, earning NESCAC Player of the Week. Peele played all game and made eight saves on 20 shots. Trinity goalie Woody Hamilton had 14 saves on 29 shots.

McCormack was proud of his team’s fourth-quarter effort. “The game was back-and-forth all afternoon,” he said. “We stiffened up our defense late, and we got some insurance goals.  The team fought hard all game and especially in the fourth.”

Fahey echoed McCormack’s sentiments. “It was obviously a good showing for us, and we were excited to get our first win,” he said. “We had a lot of younger guys step up. Our defense was consistent and made several key stops.”

McCormack shared his goals for the season.

“We look to learn and improve after every practice session and game this year to enable ourselves to compete against a tough lineup of opponents,” he said.

“We have a deep and cohesive team this season,” Fahey added.

The Ephs will play at 6 p.m. tonight at home against Union.