Construction continues on campus

Construction will be widespread at the College over the next year, with plans for continued work from now until 2020 on various new and continuing projects.

Williams Inn and College bookstore

Initially, the College planned for the new Williams Inn to include a 60-room main building and a 40-room annex to be opened during times of high occupancy. Due to problems with cost, the surrounding wetlands and the physical footprint of the building, the College abandoned its plan to construct an annex.

Instead, the new inn will be one building of between 60 and 65 rooms, with a function space and a small restaurant. According to Fred Puddester, vice president for finance and administration and treasurer, the purpose of the restaurant is not to compete with those already on Spring Street but to be convenient for guests who wish to eat breakfast or dinner at the hotel. The College will receive a new design and cost estimate for the building next month. The building’s opening date will remain summer 2019.

The campus bookstore is on track for its opening in August, when it will begin selling trade books, textbooks and College gear, in addition to food from its vendor, Tunnel City Coffee. The College is still seeking a tenant for the building’s third-floor office space.

Student housing

The College is moving forwards with its plan to replace the 40-bed Garfield House with a new dorm with the same number of beds. Garfield House will be torn down in summer 2018 and its replacement will be ready for fall 2019. The project will cost $12 million.

The College also plans to proceed with regular cycles of renovations on all student housing. According to Puddester, it is more efficient if these renovations occur over a year, rather than in “summer slammers,” in which contractors rush to complete their work between when students leave in the spring and when they return in the fall, as was done with Morgan Hall in 2006. As a result, dorms will have to close for renovations, decreasing the number of beds available to students.

The recent addition of Horn Hall will enable the College to house all students even while other dorms are closed for renovation. The College’s planned renovations include the houses in Dodd Circle, followed by Greylock Quad, although they have not been formalized yet.

Center for Development Economics (CDE)

Construction at the CDE will begin this summer. An addition to St. Anthony Hall, which currently houses the program, will be built on the rear of the building over the course of a year. This addition will allow all CDE students to live in the same building. The following year, the College will renovate St. Anthony Hall itself. During this time, students will eat in undergraduate dining halls and attend classes in temporary classrooms. Donations from both undergraduate and CDE alumni will wholly fund the $27 million project.

Academic and other buildings

The construction of the new laboratory building is on schedule for opening in the summer of 2018, while the designs for the replacement to Bronfman Science Center are in their final stages. When Bronfman is demolished in 2018, temporary buildings south of Bascom Hall will serve as classrooms for the mathematics and statistics department, while math/stat faculty offices will move to Bascom until the new building’s completion in 2020. Psychology classes will move to a temporary building in between Bascom and Perry House. Bascom previously housed the admission office, but ultimately, according to Puddester, the goal is to make the building into student housing.

Next year, Goodrich Hall will be closed for renovations to the roof, masonry and struc-ture. During this time, the dance studio will be relocated to the upper floor of Greylock Hall. Goodrich Coffee Bar is expected to move to Dodd House.

During this summer, the recent renovations of Chapin Hall will come to a close. The ceiling will receive an acrylic canvas to improve the building’s acoustics and the roof will be repaired, at a total cost between $1 million and $2 million.

The College has modified its generator project, intended to be done last summer, to begin this summer. Initially, the project included both a backup generator and a co-generation boiler. However, the co-generation boiler would have required burning more natural gas, in conflict with the College’s goal to reduce carbon emissions. Therefore, the project will proceed with just the backup generator.