On being considerate while biking

To the Editor,

I am pleased to learn that the College installed rectangular rapid flash beacon (RRFB) lights at the crosswalk near the ’62 Center. I hope all pedestrians will take advantage of them and that there will be similar installations at other crosswalks. Pedestrian safety is paramount. This is why I also agree with Professor [Noah] Sandstrom’s letter regarding runners on Water Street. I believe this advice should also extend past Water Street onto Green River Road. I have driven in both areas many times and have encountered runners in the road, sometimes two or three abreast. This is not safe for runners or drivers.

Now I would like to address a safety issue concerning me personally. I walk my dog nearly every day on Main Street. On more than one occasion I have had a bicyclist approach us from behind, passing at what I consider to be a high speed. I will admit that my hearing is probably not as keen as it was in my younger days so I am often unaware that someone on a bike is behind us until they whiz by. I fear for the safety of myself, my dog and the bicyclist.  Any sort of collision could end tragically. I’d like to point out that sidewalks are for pedestrians. I am simply asking that if one must ride on the sidewalk to please be considerate of those of us who are walking.

Thank you,

Judy J. Jones

One comment

1. Dedicated bike lanes through campus!