Field hockey upsets Trinity in quarters

Libby Dolan ’19 placed one shot on goal in the Ephs 4–2 victory in the NESCAC tournament. Photo courtesy of Sports Information.

Field hockey (10–6, 5–5 in the NESCAC) went 1–1 in this week, losing its last regular season game against Middlebury 3–2 and winning its quarterfinal NESCAC Championship game against Trinity 4–2.

Despite losing on Tuesday, the Ephs advanced to the NESCAC Championship as the seventh seed. Last Saturday, Williams traveled to Hartford, Conn. to face second-seeded Trinity in the quarterfinals. The Ephs upset the Bantams, 4–2.

Despite the difference in the rankings, the Bantams and the Ephs were well-matched. The Bantams opened up the scoring at 7:27 after earning a penalty corner. Trinity inserted the ball to the top of the circle, and rocketed a hard and fast shot over the defense. The Ephs responded at 16:53 off a penalty corner of their own. Hannah Goodrick ’18 passed the ball to tri-captain Katie Gallop ’17, whose shot slipped past the goalie and into the cage.

With the score now tied at 1–1, the Bantams came on strong, earning three unanswered penalty corners. Although the Ephs played great defense, on the third penalty corner, the Bantams regained their lead. However, less than five minutes later, a goal by Goodrick during a penalty corner evened the score. The first half ended with the game tied.

In the second half, both teams fought to break the tie first. The Ephs succeeded just under 16 minutes into the second half. During a penalty corner, Julia Cochran ’19 tipped Gallop’s shot, giving the Ephs their first lead of the game.

With less than four minutes left in the game, the Ephs earned a penalty corner. Brissette, positioned just inside the post of the net, slapped a ball from Kit Rosen ’17 past the Bantam defense and into the net. The final score of the game was 4–2, Williams.

“It was our best game of the season,” tri-captain Kit Rosen ’17 said. “We had so many contributors and fed off of each other’s energy. We have the momentum and I could not be more excited for this weekend.”

Last Tuesday, the Ephs took on the Panthers and were outscored 2–1 in the first half. Although the Ephs got off to a strong start, taking three shots in the first six minutes, the Panthers scored the first goal of the game just over 10 minutes into the first half. The Ephs equalized with a goal by Rachel Brissette ’17 at 22:49. However, Middlebury regained its lead less than eight minutes later and carried it into the second half.

Just a minute and 31 seconds into the second half, Williams equalized the score once again on a goal by Libby Dolan ’18. With the score tied, both teams scrambled to find the winning goal as time wound down. However, at the end of regulation time, the score remained tied at 2–2, and the game headed into overtime.

In overtime, only seven players on each team play, and the first to score wins. After over 13 minutes of exhausting overtime play, Middlebury scored to win the game, 3–2.

With the win against Trinity under their belts, the Ephs move on to the NESCAC Championship semifinals in Medford, Mass. and face the No. 1 seed, Tufts. If they win on Saturday, the Ephs advance to the finals on Sunday and have a chance at an automatic NCAA Tournament bid.