Faculty finds problem with grades

A survey of College faculty conducted by the Record found that the majority of faculty members believe grade inflation and uneven grade distribution across divisions is problematic.

Faculty members were first asked if they were tenured professors at the College. Of the 148 responders to this question, 62.2 percent answered yes, 33.8 percent answered no and 4.1 percent answered other.

Faculty members were then asked to state which division their home department is in. Of the 147 respondents to this question, 30.6 percent were from Div. I, 37.4 percent were from Div. II and 32 percent were from Div. III.

Faculty members were then told, “In 1999-2000, the average GPA at the College was 3.33. In 2015-2016, the average GPA at the College was 3.45,” and asked if they thought grade inflation was a problem.  Of the 149 respondents to this question, 68.5 percent answered yes, 22.8 percent answered no and 8.7 percent had no opinion on the issue.

The poll stated that, “In 2015-2016, the average GPA for Division I was 3.55, the average GPA for Division II was 3.44 and the average GPA for Division III was 3.37,” and then asked faculty members if they considered grade variability across divisions problematic. Of the 149 respondents to this question, 57 percent thought this was an issue, 34.2 percent did not find this to be problematic and 8.7 percent had no opinion on the matter.

Finally, faculty members were asked if they felt pressure from the College to meet pre-set expectations when awarding grades. Of the 149 respondents, 25.5 percent answered yes, 53 percent answered no and 21.4 percent  answered other.

This poll was conducted with a margin of error of 2.5 percent and a confidence level of 95 percent.