Ephs claims victory at Fall Classic

October 5, 2016 by Cordelia Chan, Team Correspondent

Liz Gudas ’18 earned third place with a score of 77 on day two at the Williams Fall Classic. Photo courtesy of Sports Information.

The Ephs hung onto their five-stroke lead after day one of the Williams Fall Classic, shooting a 302 on the second day to win the tournament by 13 strokes.

Amherst, starting the day tied at third with NYU, battled back and took the runner-up position by one-stroke over NYU, shooting a two-day total of 625. NYU was third with 626, Middlebury was fourth at 641 and Le Moyne College rounded off the top-five with a team total of 673. Despite cooler temperatures and tricky winds, the top three teams managed to improve upon their first-day scores and break 310.

One of the largest individual leaderboard climbs was from Tracey Kim ’17 who, after a tough 88, bounced back with a four-over 75 to jump 22 spots to solo 25th individually. Amherst senior Jamie Gracie also had a considerable jump after her 82 on Saturday. Gracie fired a three-under 33 on the back nine to finish her second round just one-over. Her score of 72 on Sunday moved her up 18 spots to fifth place.

Williams College had three players in the top five. Co-captain Sophie Kitchen ’17 improved her score by one, shooting a 76 on Sunday and finishing fourth overall. Liz Gudas ’18 lost her one-stroke lead after yesterday but was still able to capture third after shooting a 77 on day two. Cordelia Chan ’19 matched her score of 74 on Saturday and won the tournament individually, shooting a two-day, six-over 148.

NYU’s Alyssa Poentis shot a two-over 73 on day two, after a 76 on Saturday, to finish the classic in second place.

Isabella Wang ’19 was able to improve her first day score by three, shooting an 83 and finishing tied for 36th. The first-years were able to keep up with the lightning fast greens; Cindy Wang ’19 and Renee Kwak ’20 both finished tied for 39th after shooting 172 combined over the two-day tournament.

“It was great to see how focused and determined the team was this weekend, and it showed how deep our roster is that we won by 13 shots, playing without the medalist from the previous weekend,” Head Coach Tomas Adalsteinsson said. “We have eight players that can all lead the team each weekend, and that gives us a lot of confidence moving forward. It’s such a privilege to host our home invitational at Taconic. The course was in pristine condition, and it was great to see the women shine in front of family and friends. We had a game plan, and executed. We still believe we haven’t played our best tournament yet, so this week we prepare for a strong showing at the NESCAC Championship hosted by Middlebury.”