Spring Street Blues

Monday 9-19-16

1:02 p.m. Paresky penthouse: An intrusion alarm was triggered by a Facilities staff member who had gone into the penthouse and forgot it was armed.

2:55 p.m. Mark Hopkins House: An officer responded to meet with a student who called and reported that he had accidentally broken a small window in his room. The officer contacted Architectural Trades to respond. A tradesman responded and taped the window. The student filled out a work order and was asked to come to the Campus Safety and Security (CSS) office to make a statement.

6:07 p.m. Dodd House: An officer responded to the lawn outside of Dodd House for a report that a student had collapsed to the ground and was in pain. Dispatch initially activated 911. The student was found lying on the ground suffering from left calf muscle pain. The student reported the pain had subsided and he didn’t need an ambulance. Dispatch asked to cancel 911. The student said he was fine and went inside Dodd House under his own power.

Tuesday 9-20-16

12:12 a.m. Spencer Art Building: Officers responded to the first floor lobby for a report of a suspicious odor. The officers identified a strong odor of skunk, and they entered the building to speak with the complainant.

12:00 p.m. Outing Club equipment room: An intrusion alarm was triggered by staff. There were no further issues.

2:12 p.m. Prospect mechanical room: Facilities tradesman reported finding a door tampered with. A piece of broken plastic was jammed into the strike plate. This door allows access from the mechanical room into the hallway of the radio station and would normally be locked. Work orders were submitted to have an intrusion alarm added to this door, as well as lettering indicating the emergency exit doors. Photos were taken of the damage.

6:51 p.m. Officers were dispatched to meet a Williamstown Police Department (WPD) officer at Garfield concerning a report of drug paraphernalia.

8:10 p.m. A student was transported to Berkshire Medical Center in North Adams after injuring his right knee earlier during lacrosse practice. He had not reported it to any of the trainers. A personal accident injury report was filled out.

Wednesday 9-21-16

10:35 p.m. Bryant House: An officer responded to check on a student who reported not feeling well. The student had vomited and had a fever. The student was transported to Berkshire Medical Center (BMC) in North Adams.

Thursday 9-22-16

1:00 a.m. Officers responded to the Frosh Quad and Chapin walkway area near the marble benches to meet with a student with a cut finger. The student had his finger wrapped in a blood-soaked gauze. Officers assisted the student in stopping the bleeding. No transport to the emergency room was needed. The student was told to call CSS again if he had any more issues with the bleeding and was given some extra band-aids to use if needed. 

1:55 p.m. Horn Hall: An officer conducted a welfare check on a student per request of a parent, who had been sick the past couple of days and was not answering her phone. The student was contacted and told of her mother’s concerns and offered transport to the Health Center. The student said she would contact her mother.

Friday 9-23-16

9:54 a.m. Outting Club equipment room:  An intrusion alarm was triggered by staff. There were no further issues.

Saturday 9-24-16

6:58 a.m. Morgan Hall steam tunnel: An intrusion alarm was triggered. An officer found the area secure. No apparent cause for the alarm was discovered.

10:58 a.m. Dodd House: Officers responded to a fire alarm. The smoke detector in the first floor student kitchen was activated due to cooking. Officers ventilated the area and the system was reset. The exhaust fan by the stove was not on. 

11:14 a.m. Mark Hopkins House: An officer noticed an odor of marijuana upon exiting the building. The officer observed two students sitting on a wall in the Greylock quad smoking. WPD was contacted to respond.

12:25 p.m. Dennett House: Officers responded to a report of a group on the north lawn outside. Approximately 20 students were listening to music and several were holding beer cans in violation of town open container laws.

5:05 p.m. A staff member reported a personal vehicle being hit by a college-owned van.  A statement was taken and the complainant was directed to file a report with the WPD as well.

8:49 p.m. Sherman House: Officers responded to a fire alarm. The alarm was caused by cooking. The apartment windows were opened to ventilate. The alarm was silenced and the fire safety system was cleared.

11:19 p.m. Tyler House: There were multiple forced door alarms from the north door. An officer responded to check the area and observed several students in the first floor living room. As officers were approaching the south card reader door, several students noticed and began to exit the building. An unregistered event was found in progress.

Sunday 9-25-16

3:24 a.m. Brooks House: Officers responded to a report of an intoxicated student in need of assistance. 911 was activated. North Adams Ambulance Service responded because Village Ambulance was occupied with a motor vehicle accident. The student was transported to BMC for further treatment. 

8:30 p.m. Lambert House: A fire alarm was caused by cooking. Officers checked the area and found a slight haze and all of the windows open; the hood exhaust fan was also on and operational. Officers ventilated the area and reset the system.