Horn Hall opens as new residence

September 14, 2016 by James Rasmussen, Staff Writer

horn-hall

Horn Hall features ten six-person pods with lounge spaces, large restrooms and kitchenettes. Christian Ruhl/Managing Editor.

Horn Hall opened this fall, making it the first new residential building the College has completed since Mission Park in the 1970s.

The building, which houses 60 sophomores, juniors and seniors in its 40 singles and 10 doubles, boasts a number of amenities. Some of these include lounge spaces, large restrooms and showers and a downstairs classroom area. Students live in six-person suites and share a bathroom and common area with a chalkboard. The building is also eco-friendly, with elements such as LED lighting, automatic light sensors that detect movement and triple-glazed windows for retaining heat.

The construction of the hall was made possible by a donation from Ragnar Horn ’85 and Joey Horn ’87. Both live in Norway and Joey Horn is a member of the Board of Trustees. The Horns’ $10 million gift contributed to a total of $15 million spent on construction.

“Everything’s new, and I have a lot of friends and people I know. It’s really close to Bronfman, which is where all my classes are this semester,” Jilly Lim ’17, a resident of Horn Hall, said.

“I really enjoy the pod common room,” Danielle D’Oliveira ’19, a Horn Hall resident, said. “At all times, I’m able to see my friends who live in the suite next door. The closet and storage cubbies make my room spacious.”

Construction officially began on Stetson Court in April 2015 and finished at the end of spring 2016. The building is open to any student or faculty member with swipe access. Faculty only have access to the classroom space in the front section.