Men’s lacrosse falls in tournament to Tufts

May 11, 2016 by Patrick Gerald

Men’s lacrosse dropped a hard-fought NESCAC semifinal game to nationally-ranked Tufts last Saturday 19-11. Tufts’s Zach Richman was hot in the first quarter and got things going early for the Jumbos, scoring four goals in the opening minutes of the quarter to help the team build a 6-2 lead at the first break.

Earlier in the conference schedule, the men fell to Tufts 22-15 in a home match-up, which showcased the impressive firepower of the Tufts attack. The Ephs used this game to prepare for the NESCAC tournament match.

In the second quarter, Tufts looked to continue their momentum, and it was Richman who kept it going with a behind-the-back goal on the first play of the quarter. By 9:52, Tufts had tacked on four more goals to go on a five-goal run and take a nine-goal lead, 11-2. Not only was Tufts clicking on offense; they were also playing a smothering defense that disrupted the Williams offense.

The Ephs then generated four unanswered goals in the final eight minutes of the quarter to start a comeback run that was ignited by Michael Fahey ’17. Fahey scored 8:51 on a feed from Bryson Gilbert-Bono ’16. Co-captain Tanner MacIvor ’16 and Thomas Fowler ’17 then scored before long-stick midfielder Devlin Nelligan ’17 netted his first goal of the year. The Ephs trailed at the half 11-6.

Fahey scored all three of the Ephs’ third quarter goals. On a man-up opportunity early, Fahey scored two goals to extend the Eph run of goals to six in a row, and bring the Tufts’s lead down to three goals, 11-8.

Tufts responded with a four-goal run to take the wind out of Williams’ sails.  Still, the Ephs kept fighting as Fahey scored another to end the run. Tufts followed that with a pair of goals from Richman to go ahead 17-9 at the end of the third quarter.

In the fourth quarter, the Ephs continued to try to fight their way back into the game, but the Tufts lead was too much to overcome. Each team scored two goals in the quarter to result in a 19-11 Tufts victory.

Though the Ephs weren’t able to come out on top, they fought hard as they have done all season.

Fahey led the Eph attack with five goals and one assist. Zach Richman led the Jumbos with eight goals.

Williams’s goalie Miles McCarthy ’16 played 60:00 and allowed 19 goals and had 13 saves on the afternoon. Tufts’s goalie Alex Salazar played 60:00 and allowed 11 goals and had 16  saves.

“The season ended earlier than we would have like losing to Tufts in the semifinals but we still had a great year. We had an extremely tight-knit group and it was awesome to finally beat Amherst for the first time in my four years and knock them out of the NESCAC tournament. The seniors will miss being on the field with the guys but we’ll be watching and supporting them throughout next season,” co-captain Peter Crane ’16 said.

“We gave an excellent effort in the Tufts game but unfortunately our execution over four quarters was inconsistent,” Head Coach George McCormack said.

The loss to Tufts marks the end of the season for the men as preparations begin for next year’s schedule, as the squad hopes to build upon their late-season form to record more important conference victories. The team graduates nine seniors, including co-captains Tanner MacIvor ’16, Ryan Hamilton ’16, Brendan Bossidy ’16, and  Crane. Others in the graduating class are Conor Roddy ’16, Jack Lauroesch ’16, Khary Denis ’16, McCarthy and Gilbert-Bono.