Ephs place second at Div. III New Englands after winning NESCACs

May 11, 2016 by Kathryn Kennedy, Sports Writer

Helene Hall ’18 secured second in the high jump last weekend with a jump of 1.64 meters. Photo courtesy of Sports Information.

At the conclusion of the second and final day of competition at the Div. III New England Championships in Springfield, Mass., women’s track and field scored 86.5 collective points for an overall second-place finish. Athletes scored points across the board from a wide range of events, marking this a team finish.

“The team put up some strong efforts this weekend,” Head Coach Nate Hoey said. “It’s always tough to come back after NESCAC week and I thought the team responded and competed really well.”

The women came away from the meet with two event winners: Candice Dyce ’17 and Lacey Serletti ’16. Dyce won the triple jump with a mark of 11.65 meters, followed by Chloe Rogers ’17, who finished second with a jump of 11.57 meters.

Rogers gained further accolades in the high jump, where she gained sixth place with an impressive 1.59 meter jump.

Overall, the women had a strong presence in the high jump, as Helene Hall ’18 posted a second-place finish with a jump of 1.64 meters.

Serletti, on the other hand, won the steeplechase event with a season-best time of 10:59.98. Hannah Cole ’17 finished close behind her at 11:05.26, finishing in third and also gaining a season-best time. Victoria Kingham ’17 also had a strong race, running the 1500 meter in 4:33.22 for a second-place finish. Rounding out the distance and mid-distance events, Yvonne Bungei ’17 placed in fourth in the 800 meter with a time of 2:15.95.

Williams additionally scored some key points in the hurdle events. Kayley McGonagle ’18 ran the 400-meter hurdles in 63.82, finishing in fourth and Alyza Ngbokoli ’17 finished in fourth with a time of 63.98.

In the 100-meter hurdles, co-captain Grace Weatherall ’16 also earned a fifth-place position, running the race in 15.04 after qualifying for the finals on day one.

Weatherall also jumped to a new personal record of 5.60 meters in the long jump, gaining a fourth-place finish. Finally, for the sprinters, Kennedy Green ’19 finished in fifth place in the 100 meter with a time of 12.62 after qualifying for the finals of the event on day one.

Alejandra Moran ’17 represented the Williams throwers, throwing the discus 38.25 meters for a sixth-place finish. To finish off the day, Williams also earned some final points in the 4×800, as Bungei, Maggie Peard ’17, Evan Gancedo ’18 and Elowyn Pfeiffer ’18 finished in sixth place with a collective time of 9:29.28.

Last weekend, the women won NESCAC Championships for the third year in a row with an impressive 165 points.

After last weekend’s competition, 11 members of women’s track and field earned all-NESCAC honors – an honor given to the top three finishers in each event during this meet – across 10 different events. Sprinter Denver Williams ’19 earned Most Outstanding Rookie Performer of the meet for her third-place finish in the 400 meter with a time of 57.39 and a second-place finish in the 200 meter at 25.47.

“Overall it was a very solid day for women’s track and field,” co-captain Lacey Serletti ’16 said. “There were a number of PR’s and season-best performances. It was an exciting start to the post-season, and hopefully we can continue to build on that momentum as we look toward All New Englands, ECACs and NCAAs.”

Overall, Williams had a strong showing, finishing in second place and kicking off the postseason. Now, the qualifying athletes are looking forward to future competitions, especially the Div. III National Championships at the end of May.

Next weekend, some athletes will travel to New Haven for the All-New Englands at Southern Connecticut State University. Following those competitions, some athletes will continue their seasons at ECACs the following weekend at Westfield State University.