Baseball ends season with Bates split

May 11, 2016 by Eric Hirsch, Staff Writer

Nate Michalski ’17 pitched 17 innings for the Ephs in the 2016 season, striking out six batters. Photo courtesy of Sports Information.

Baseball (13-19, 6-6 in the NESCAC) finished up its season with a split against Bates on Saturday, taking game one 10-1 but falling to Bates in game two 3-2.

Kellen Hatheway ’19 led the offense for the Ephs in game one going 2 for 3 with four RBIs. Adam Regensburg ’18 also played a major role in the Williams offense in game one, going 2 for 4 with three RBIs.

Hatheway led the charge for the Ephs in the bottom of the third with an RBI single, allowing Doug Schaffer ’18 to score. Off an error from the short stop, Jack Cloud ’17 reached home to put Williams up 2-0.

Nate Michalski ’17 followed this up with an RBI single, sending Regensburg home to extend the Ephs’ lead to 3-0.

In the Williams fourth, with the bases loaded, Hathway was hit by a pitch moving all players forward and sending another Eph home, putting Williams up now 4-0. Regensburg added to this lead with an RBI single. Hatheway continued to carry the Ephs’ offense in the top of the fifth with another two-run single sending David Rosas ’16 and Beau Horan ’16 home and extending the lead to 7-0.

Bates scored a run in the bottom of the sixth, but that was all they scored for the game.

Williams scored three more runs in the top of the seventh to end the game, earning the win 10-1.

Tri-captain Luke Rodino ’17 took the win in game one, moving to 5-3 on the mound, pitching six innings, giving up two hits, one run, which was earned, and striking out nine.

In game two, Bates was first to get on the board, scoring a run in the bottom of the second followed by another run in the bottom of the third.

Williams responded in the top of the fifth scoring one run when Cloud grounded out to the shortstop, but Horan reached home. Then Williams was able to tie the game in the top of the eighth off an RBI single from Adam Dulsky ’18, sending Hatheway home.

Bates scored one more run in the bottom of the eight to retake the lead and eventually earned the win, 3-2.

Tyler Duff ’17 took the loss in game two for Williams, moving to 2-3 on the mound, pitching six innings, giving up seven hits, two runs, one of them earned and striking out five.

Duff earned two national awards after being named NESCAC Pitcher of the Week for play ending May 1.

Anthony Telesca earned the win for Bates pitching one inning, giving up two hits, one run, which was earned, and striking out two.

“The first game was some of the best baseball we played all year,” Head Coach Bill Barrale said. “Rodino again gave us a fantastic outing, and we played a clean game defensively. In the second game we made two mistakes and Bates capitalized on them. I am very proud of our seniors. They did a tremendous job leading this team especially through some early adversity.  Although they will be missed, we have a lot of young talent returning to the team next year.”

This series against Bates marks the men’s last competition of the season. The team graduates Horan, Rosas, Alex Beschloss ’16, tri-captain Arnie Capute ’16 and tri-captain Danny Smith ’16.